Woyrsch - Symphony no. 2 and Hamlet Overture from cpo

Started by M. Henriksen, Wednesday 25 April 2012, 19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Maybe, just maybe are cpo now embarking on a cycle of recordings of Woyrsch' orchestral music (I wouldn't be surprised!).
MD&G recorded the 1st. Symphony back in 1994, and it's seems obvious that they won't release any followups.
I wasn't impressed by the music on that disc, I shall give it another go. And I will look forward to this release! To my knowledge the 2nd symphony receives its first recording here. It's in C major and was composed in 1914.
I don't have any info about the Overture, yet..

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Felix-Woyrsch-1860-1944-Symphonie-Nr-2-op-60/hnum/4916775

Morten

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I do agree Morten, Woyrsch's First didn't really set the world on fire but it's good nonetheless to see the Second become available. Hope springs eternal...

eschiss1

Someone was going to upload his 6th in manuscript to IMSLP at one point but never did, but one of his 6(? apparently 5 published, one without given number) string quartets (No.1, published 1910) -is- there (along with a recording by the SBB :) ).  Looking forward to the new cpo and hoping a series of the symphonies and other works- and a reasonable pace of releases that doesn't rush the conductor is fine by me if it helps produce better performances :) - is on the way.

Alan Howe

This new CD is certainly not going to set the world on fire, but it has some solid virtues. Thus, Woyrsch's 2nd Symphony (an expansive 48-minute piece) is clearly in line of descent from Brahms (as is his 1st), but also plunders other sound-worlds (Bruckner, for example, towards the end of the slow movement). Overall, it's a reflective, sometimes jolly work at heart, but contains some typical Woyrschian flare-ups at various key points; the finale certainly builds up a good head of steam by the end. Altogether a nice listen - a piece which will no doubt repay repeated listenings.

Now, for a true master symphonist, cpo could turn their attention to Wilhelm Berger...