Cornelis Dopper(1870-1939): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 08 June 2012, 17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

CORNELIS DOPPER: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1892/1904:Symphony No.3 "Rembrandt": 29 minutes   +  (Chandos cd)
1896:      Festival March for brass band
1896/1921:Symphony No.1(Dance Symphony) "Diana", op.7: 36 minutes    *
1900:      Fantaisie for orchestra/Etude "Pamorah"
1903:      Symphony No.2 in B minor "Scottish": 43 minutes    +  (Chandos cd)
1908:      Symphony No.5 "Sinfonia epica" for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, chorus and orchestra
1909:      Symphony No.4 "Sinfonietta"   
1910:      Concerto for Trumpet, timpani and orchestra
1910/23:Cello Concerto: 19 minutes    *
1911/17:"Geh'an die Sonne" for vocalist, string orchestra, harp and celesta
1912:      Symphony No.6 "Amsterdam": 31 minutes   + (Chandos cd)
1913/14:"Tooneelmuziek in Three Tableux vivants" for the visit of the Danish royal couple for orchestra
1914:      "De Wilgen" for chorus and orchestra
1915 :      Symphonic Study "Paan I" in D minor for orchestra: 9 minutes     + (Chandos cd)
                Symphonic Study "Paan II" in F minor for orchestra: 12 minutes          +  (Chandos cd)
1916:      "De zeven boeven" for children's choir and orchestra
1917:      Symphony No.7 "Zuider Zee": 34 minutes    *    +  (Audiophile Classics and NM Classics cds)
1918:      "Zondagmorgen"  for chorus and small orchestra
1919:      Cantata "Zegepraal" ("Victory") on the occasion of the Silver Jubillee of Willem Mengelberg for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, chorus and
                               orchestra
1920:      "Ciaconna gotica" for orchestra: 19 minutes   +  (Audiophile Classics, Teldec and NM Classics cds)
1926:      "Ons laand" for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, children's chorus and orchestra
               "Tom et Tim" for children's chorus and orchestra
1930:      March "Vox populi, vox Dei" for band
1935:      Requiem for chorus and orchestra
1937:      Nocturne for Viola and Orchestra
1938:      "Feestmuziek (Musica festivale)" for singer and orchestra

and

Petite Suite for orchestra, op.4
"Harichiana"-Four Miniatures for orchestra
Old Netherlands Dance Suite for orchestra: 9 minutes
"Five-voiced Fugue" for orchestra   (unfinished)
"Sinopa" for orchestra  (unfinished)
Cantata "Luchtballon" for soprano, tenor, bass, chorus and orchestra
"Het Klokgebed" for soprano, contralto, tenor, chorus and orchestra
"Ab Jove principium" for chorus and orchestra or wind orchestra
"Holland" for children's choir and orchestra
"Kindergedachten" for children's choir and orchestra
"Het meezennestje" for children's chorus and orchestra
"De krekels en die wandelaar" for children's chorus and orchestra
"Zomerdagmorgen" for children's chorus and orchestra

Sources:

http://www.cornelisdopper.nl/

http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/images/inventaris/dopper.pdf

alberto

The Symphony n.7 "Zuider Zee" and the "Gothic Chaconne (Ciaccona Gotica)" exist (or existed) in historical (1940) recordings by Mengelperg and Rco  on Audiphile Classic (maybe also on other labels). 

Christo

Indeed. These historical recordings by Mengelberg are still the best available and are found in the form of a number of reissues - mine is ADCD119, Volume 13 of 'The Mengelberg Edition'. The same 1940 Mengelberg recording of the Ciaconna Gotica is also found on Audophile Classics (APL 101.541), Teldec 243 723-2 and probably more (but these are the cds I have).

There is a fine modern recording however, again of both the Seventh Symphony and the Ciaconna Gotica, this time coupled with the Piet Hein Rhapsody by Peter van Anrooy. The Netherlands RSO conducted by Kees Bakels on NM Classics (93060).

As Dopper is not considered worthy of inclusion among the 100 most famous Dutch composers ( :o!!) of: Jolande van der Klis (ed.), The Essential Guide to Dutch Music. 100 Composers and Their Work (Amsterdam University Press 2000), a complete work list is not easy at hand. I'll dig out some other books tomorrow.

Sibeliusfan

There is a Cornelis Dopper Foundation (Stichting Cornelis Dopper) in his native town of Stadskanaal, but Dopper's music isn't popular in his home country and after the Chandos cd's of some of his symphonies it is doubtful if there will be a Dopper-revival. His music is well crafted, but not much more than that.
Nevertheless, it would be interesting to hear more. After all, his cello concerto as performed by Anner Bijlsma (on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-18wBU9Z8) is well worth exploring.

Gareth Vaughan

Readers may like to know that the Cornelis Dopper Foundation announced earlier this year that a full orchestral score, vocal score and orchestral parts for the 1st movt. of Dopper's 5th Symphony ("Sinfonia Epica") had now been produced and a performance was scheduled for 14th November, depending upon coronavirus restrictions. In the event that it could not happen, the Foundation states that a performance will take place in 2022. This is most encouraging news, and one hopes those involved will be able to bring this project to fruition. A recording will, I expect, follow - well, I certainly hope so.

I am sure our colleague, Ilja, will know more about this.

Alan Howe

I'm interested, of course, but have rarely found much inspiration in Dopper's music. It'd be nice to be proved wrong...

Ilja

Hi, I did know this was planned but was told it was too difficult to rehearse in the current pandemic, and the performance has been postponed until next year.

I copied Dopper's MS myself a few years ago, and can testify that this publication must have been a work as epic as the symphony itself. To avoid misunderstanding: this is not "just" the first movement (out of four, but by far the longest), but the first part of the symphony. The MS runs for 203 pages, and the part would easily last an hour.

It will be performed by the Veenkoloniaal Symfonie Orkest (plus choirs and soloists), conducted by Lubertus Leutscher. The VKSO is an amateur orchestra, and it'll be interesting to hear how (and if) they'll tackle this.