News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Kahn Piano Quintet etc

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 12 March 2014, 01:56

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

We have a recording of this piece, and I see it was published by Bote & Bock in 1910, as well as performed that year; a review of that performance has this and that to say about it and notes that it has 3 movements (and I think notes that the 2nd movement is an Adagio). Having some difficulty turning up more information even about the movement specs of the piece? (or why our recording should have 4 tracks for a "dreisätzige" piece. Given m'druthers, of course, more interested in reasonably detailed movement names/tempi/whathave than in the latter, which I can probably easily make a number of guesses at :).)
Thanks in advance :)
Eric

eschiss1

Never mind, someone's uploaded this to IMSLP. There are indeed 4 movements:

I. Allegro non troppo.
II. Presto assai.
III. Andante sostenuto.
IV. Allegro agitato.

SadRobotSings

As it turns out, I uploaded the score! I'm desperate to hear a recording though! I haven't been able to find one anywhere. As a clarinetist I was pretty excited to find this piece. Any chance I can hear it? :)

Mark Thomas

You can download a recording of it (uploaded by Semi.Serio) in our archives here.

eschiss1

Indeed, that was the source of my interest. Thanks for uploading the score and parts!

SadRobotSings

No problem! I've been making it sort of a personal mission of mine to upload more of his works. Many of them are long out of print though, and extremely hard to find! Aside from his huge number of songs, there's still a String Quartet (Op.8, written for and first performed by the Joachim Quartet!), a Violin Sonata, and a cello Sonata I haven't been able to get my hands on. I think his music is really under-recorded as well.

I'm so happy to have a recording of the Quintet! What a cool piece!

eschiss1

The cello sonata in D minor? This one? I think he wrote another one too, his Op.37, which I'm unfamiliar with aside from its existence or once-existence(- ah, ok, some libraries do still list the 1903 Dreililien edition.). But the 2nd(?) cello sonata we (IMSLP, I mean) have in score, parts, recording (no kitchen sink though), and it's quite good or so it seems to me...

I think between us (well, me that I know about, certainly) we've been making the IMSLP wishlist of his works on-the-long side (not that _I_ mind, it's not, I think, too long yet for the rules there.)

SadRobotSings

Op.37, that's the one! His violin Sonata Op. 26 and the String Quartet Op. 8 were there other ones I was referring too. I haven't had any luck with Op. 26, but there's a library in Philly I'm planning on borrowing the String Quartet parts from.

The piece I really want to hear is his first violin sonata, Op. 5. I was reading a memoir of Kahn's recently, where he described how much Brahms had apparently liked it!

Yeah, I added a few too many pieces to the wishlist :P I managed to get my hands on a complete list of his works and got a little excited. But hopefully I can knock some off in the next few weeks! I have the clarinet trio in score, and a few more of the songs as well. Many of them have been reproduced in the last ten years.

QuoteYou can download a recording of it (uploaded by Semi.Serio) in our archives here.

Hey Mark! I found an old link to Kahn's Piano Quartet No.1 in B minor op.14 (1891)  in the archives as well that no longer works. Do you still have access to this one? I'd love to hear it.

eschiss1

Library in Philadelphia- the Carnegie Library (with the wonderful-so-far-as-I-know Fleisher collection? _That_ one?...) :)

SadRobotSings

Yeah! Said they'd mail out the parts for like a ten dollar deposit! Unfortunately those other pieces only seem to be in more far flung places.

eschiss1

Neat, I thought they only loaned to institutions (universities, orchestras, etc.) - maybe that's the Fleisher Collection specifically, maybe the rest of the - sorry, Carnegie Library is Pittsburgh, isn't it- I mean the Free Library of Philadelphia...

(1) Carnegie Library- Pittsburgh (my mistake :) )- other side of state (I know that...)
(2) Free Library of Philadelphia - contains Fleisher Collection

... hrm.
(One of these days I have to put aside $10 for something like that, unless it's just a Philadelphia-resident thing. Still, there are other places (Danish Royal Library, Bavarian Lib. Munich, ... I think) that will digitize some works in their collection on request, I gather- though I wish I could figure out -how- to (1) create an account (2) make a request... :D  The former has Kahn's op.22 lieder (closed stack- I don't know if they digitize closed-stack items. Sibley Library has, among items they haven't digitized yet, his Lieder Op.83. They have one of the Lieder im Volkston Op.47 (going to upload it now...) - "Storm Song". (Hrm, I think it's one of his op.47. ... hrm... oh, no, it's op.53, that's on the score)

SadRobotSings

Actually the Free Library is the one I meant! :p

Since this has become sort of a general thread on Kahn, I though I'd share something I mentioned before. Article from an old Musical Quarterly with some biographical info and translations of Kahn's memoirs on Brahms. Thought some people here might get a kick out of it!

https://www.mediafire.com/?855tla0tbegi0ba

SadRobotSings

fahl5

It is a pitty, that the recording of Kahns 54 in the unsungscomposer-archiv seems to be no longer available.

Meanwhile there are still some "soundbites" with excerpts of the music somewhere else online I found there is still enough room for a new complete recording which belongs to my project to record the whole chambermusic by Robert Kahn.

So here is my:

complete recording of Kahns Pianoquintett op.54

I hope you like it.
best fahl5

jerfilm

Nice job, Stefan, as usual.  Thanks.

Jerry