Sgambati's Second Symphony from the Italian magazine "Amadeus"

Started by alberto, Wednesday 04 March 2015, 10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Oh, and thanks, Dennis, for that comprehensive assessment of Sgambati 2. Let's hope that the Naxos recording appears soon so that the music can reach a wider public.

jasthill

The Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma (Rome Symphony) that Naxos used for their 19th/20th Century Italian Classics Series folded last year.  So do we know if they every recorded the Sgambati 2nd or was it more of a wish list item?  Their Italian repertoire over the last several seasons they were in existence has been pretty much covered in the Naxos series.  It would be interesting to know whats left in the can (as they used to say).

Alan Howe

rosflute reported back in January 2014:

QuoteI am told that it already has been recorded and is awaiting the release date from Naxos.

alberto

I gather that the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma performed the Sgambati Second also in their (sadly last) public season.
I see now that Naxos has released a Malipiero Cd of juvenilia (I would say/suppose between late Romantism and Impressionism), like the "Sinfonia degli Eroi" with the Grecian Tessaloniki Orchestra (already not very impressive in a Pizzetti Cd).

Alan Howe

I have that Malipiero CD on order. I'll start a new thread when it arrives.

Richard Moss

Just as an adjunct to the ordering process.  I have just successfully obtained the magazine and 'CD' as a download from their web-site for a modest 7 euros. 

Stefano on their e-mail service was extremely prompt in his replies and helpfulness in helping me 'make this happen` (the web-site has an English option along with several other language choices) and uses Paypal or credit cards so it was all very easy (even for me!).

Given Alan, Dennis' et al warm comments, I now hope to thoroughly enjoy this in the very near future.

Once again, many thanks to members of the UC forum for letting us know this lovely music even exists, never mind being so readily available).

Best wishes

Richard

Best wishes

Richard

djarvie

Thanks Richard, I have successfully downloaded the symphony and am now enjoying the music.   The process was as easy as you said.
David

mjkFendrich

Thanks as well, Richard.

At first I had some difficulties locating the relevant site where the digital edition can be purchased,
since we are in April now with a new current volume - so for all others interested, this is the link for all volumes:

http://amadeus.ezpress.it/arretrati.php?id_man=123456809&codicerivista=AMA

and here for the topic of our thread:

http://www.ezpress.it/riviste.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3299

As I haven't purchased this volume yet, one further question - what is the bitrate of the mp3 files I'll get?

Best,
              mjkF

djarvie

Bitrate appears to be 192kbps - but you get an impressive piano concerto as well as the symphony.

Alan Howe

The recording's not the highest of hi-fi anyway - perfectly adequate, but I doubt very much whether a higher bitrate would make a lot of difference. 

rosflute

The Rome Orchestra did indeed fold shortly after the first performance of the Sinfonia no. 2 by Sgambati - so I don't think the Naxos recording will be forthcoming. However, other exciting plans for the work are in the pipeline, and I will update when everything is 'cut and dried'.

Alan Howe

Sad news that the planned Naxos recording won't be appearing, but great news that there are other plans for this magnificent piece. Do keep us informed as and when you are able...

JimL

I just heard the beginning of the symphony, but I'm confused.  It sure sounds like it's in E-flat minor, not E-flat Major.  :-\

eschiss1

See Alan Howe's quote of Roz Trübcher about this, earlier:
"The symphony opens in the key of Eb minor with a slow introduction that could suggest a choir singing the words lux perpetua. This is followed by the first movement proper, marked Agitato in which major and minor 3rds vie for dominance".

So, E-flat minor introduction, E-flat major/minor agitato movement proper.  If the agitato is more major than minor, anyway (?...), that would explain the "major" of the work's title :) since slow introductions to fast movements are usually irrelevant to their keys (... well... erm... usually.)