News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Benjamin Dale

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 11 August 2010, 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Quote from: chill319 on Monday 16 August 2010, 01:04
If memory serves, in his History of the Sonata Idea William Newman finds the Dale sonata to be one of the best (along with d'Indy's) from the first decade of the 20th century and discusses it at some length.
I remember his discussing both Dale sonatas (not the viola suite, since it was called a suite) at some length, yes. It's been awhile since I've read The Sonata Since Beethoven though... as much as 15 years possibly. (I still say it is an excellent book :) - and was, I think, my introduction to many composers, Fuchs Raff and Draeseke perhaps, that occur more often in this forum...)

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Saturday 14 August 2010, 17:42
I wonder if any of the major labels will get round to this kind of stuff? Some of the recordings emi made of British composers,back in the 70's, are unthinkable now.
I think it's highly unlikely, no - unimaginable in fact, that the majors will contribute very much more to our musical knowledge beyond repackaging recordings from previous decades (Muti's 'new' Cherubini set springs to mind - http://www.emiclassics.co.uk/release.php?id=5099962946223). Having said that, there have been very occasional pleasant surprises within living memory, like Oramo's two John Foulds discs and Svetlanov's Miaskovsky set from Warner or Leoncavallo's I Medici from DG. The coverage of EMI's 'British Composer' series has gradually been eroding over the years as the more enterprising discs have fallen prey to the deletion axe.

However, I think that the future is pretty safe in the hands of Chandos, Hyperion, Dutton, CPO, Sterling, etc. These companies, together with myriad smaller independents, are far more adventurous than the majors ever were.

Rob H

I believe that Danny Driver has recently recorded the complete piano music of Dale's for Hyperion. Don't know when it's due for release.
Rob

Gareth Vaughan

The Dale piano sonata is a great and glorious work; an important contribution to English music, and the piano repertoire in particular.

Mark Thomas

I've just finished listening to the Dale/Hurlstone Piano Sonatas CD. I have seldom been more impressed by a pair of piano works at first hearing.  They both breathe the same lush, late romantic air with the Hurlstone being the more conventional piece. Its 32 minutes are split into three cyclic movements (oddly tracked as four in this CD) which are serious but not sombre and have a wealth of melody. I'm delighted to have heard this piece and will return to it often I'm sure.

The Dale is even more remarkable. It lasts no less than 47 minutes and the final three of its four movements form a set of eight variations on an original theme which between them last well over half an hour. Not a wholly original idea, but I've not come across it in a Piano Sonata before and Dale brings it off famously. It's "big" music in every sense of the word. There's a spaciousness to the free-standing opening movement which reminded me a bit of Sibelius, whilst sounding more like Rachmaninov. The theme and first few variations, which make up the slow movement, are rather dark but Dale changes the textures of the variations very skilfully, so there's no chance of boredom. In fact, I've seldom heard a "serious" piano work which is so colourful. The dancing scherzo variations are a delight and the big rondo Finale (the 11 minute eighth variation) is a real tour de force in which Dale slyly interjects reminiscences of the original them, just to complete the circle. At the start of this thread I asked Giles if Dale's style resembled York Bowen's. I see that this Sonata was dedicated to Bowen but, fan of Bowen's though I am, I have heard nothing by him which approaches the confidence, colour, architectural chutzpah and sheer lyricism of Dale's early work.

Mark Bebbington's playing is tremendous. I couldn't recommend this recording more highly.

Peter1953

Thanks for your interesting post, Mark. I couldn't resist the temptation and just ordered the CD.

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

Spot on, Mark. I'm so glad you think as highly of Dale's sonata as I do.

febnyc

Thanks for the review - so tempting that I immediately ordered the CD from MDT - and now wait for it to cross the pond to me.

Alan Howe

Oh the power of a good review...

Pengelli

Quite,Albion. I think the glory days of the major record companies are long since over. To be fair,they did produce some wonderful recordings,years ago. Some I still cherish,particularly of rare opera's, with wonderfully starry casts that have yet to be surpassed. Alas,these days they seem to be just vast money making machines bogged down in a self created rut. Most of their output isn't worth bothering about. If I do buy anything from their 'stables' it's almost always something from their 'vaults',as opposed to any 'hot' new release.

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Thursday 19 August 2010, 19:15
I think the glory days of the major record companies are long since over.
I've got to the stage now where EMI, Sony, Warner, DG et al. no longer really register at all on my consciousness: as far as I'm concerned the new 'majors' are such as CPO, Chandos and Hyperion. As has been said before, the range, enterprise and quality of recordings from these companies completely overshadows all the former 'big names' in the industry. Very much a 'Changing of the Guard'.

Pengelli

Indeed,the minors are the majors.

Pengelli

My goodness,was I REALLY posting at 02.23?!!!

Peter1953

What a wonderful, most attractive Piano Sonata Dale has written! I hear all kinds of atmospheres, tone colours, sparkling, lush, dreamy and silent moments. Hurlstone's Sonata is hardly less appealing. Both are very brilliantly played by Mark Bebbington.
Thanks again, Mark, for your enthusiastic review. I'm very happy with this CD. It's a trouvaille. Indeed, warmly recommended!