News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Juli Garreta cello sonata

Started by Martin Eastick, Sunday 01 July 2018, 23:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

This nearly escaped my attention as it is included in a not-otherwise-inspiring anthology of Swedish Radio broadcasts (which unfortunately contain a number of works well outside our remit!)  - but having enjoyed other works of Garreta (his attractive violin concerto etc) and also much impressed by the soundbites available on Amazon, I certainly agree that this 2CD set is worth picking up for this sonata alone! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0722XPYMM/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk. Now all we need is an ensemble adventurous enough to perform and record his piano quartet!

eschiss1

I noticed the anthology @ Records International though I admit the repertoire interests me more . (Unfortunately for me, it's not available - at this time or just at all, I think - over NML; the link to the page corresponding to the appropriate set where I'm at, ... - "DACOCD778" gives one of those "We apologize. This title is not available in your country due to territorial or copyright restrictions." Various works in the set- the Blomdahl, e.g. (not just the Wirén, pace Records International) seem to have received several recordings each that should still be available (whether or not I'm the only person who enjoys works like that - not, I believe, one of his more avant-garde works, anycase.

I agree, unfortunately for our ability to discuss it here, the set is largely outside our remit- which should not be confused with "unfortunately for its quality" or "unfortunately for everyone's ability to enjoy it". The inverse/converse is of course true. (If anything, I rather wish it included Xenakis' Nomos Alpha, which I am recently reading about, and have listened to once-- so far-- because of a very interesting book. But no matter.)