News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

August Walter (1821-1896)

Started by Reverie, Wednesday 18 December 2019, 00:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

August Walter (1821-1896)

Born in Stuttgart but lived most of his life in Basle where he made a very significant contribution to the musical life of the city. He and Brahms were supposedly friends. Walter is obscure enough not to warrant an entry in the New Grove. (This might need checking)

If so, he must easily deserve an "Unsung Composer Badge".

Walter caused a particular sensation with a symphony in E flat major composed in 1843/44 (including by the Vienna Philharmonic in December 1847), which "is still untouched by Schumann and is mainly influenced by Beethoven." (Wikipedia)

To my ears it's touched by Beethoven very much, especially in terms of form.

Here are my efforts at bringing a work buried in the past back to life. It's just the first movement but it's a quite masterly opening to the symphony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgUSKaNSecU&feature=youtu.be

Mark Thomas

A lot more than "touched" by Beethoven I'd say, but none the worse for that. It may not have much individuality but, judging by this powerful and convincing first movement, it's as attractive as Ries' later symphonies, say. Thanks for introducing Walter - do you have any plans to complete the job of resurrecting the symphony?

semloh

Thank you! Attractive, as Mark says. The influence of Beethoven is very obvious, and my untutored ear also hears Mendelssohn. Maybe I'm wrong in that because I see that, as far as his Octet for wind is concerned at least, the influence of both Schumann and Mendelssohn is set aside in the very informative notes at:
http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/walter-a-octet.htm
(The soundbites suggest another most enjoyable work!)

Alan Howe

Yes - thanks indeed. This is a very fine opening movement, strongly influenced by Beethoven, but none the worse for that. Wonder what the rest of the symphony is like...

Mark Thomas

The full recording of a broadcast of Walter's Octet, referred to by Semloh above, is available on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW-zDbnYQeo. It's an altogether engaging work.

Alan Howe

I have now listened to the first movement at least four times and find myself appreciating more and more its vitality, variety and sheer memorability. We desperately need to find out whether the remainder of the work lives up to this very fine opening...

Reverie

Thanks for the thumbs up.

The movements of this symphony are:

1. Allegro Vivace
2. Andante Cantabile - it's a sort of hymn like theme with variations (Beethoven again)
3. Scherzo 3/4 time (enough said)
4. Finale 2/4 time (?)

I completed the 2nd movement a while ago but need to check it through for dynamics. As for the scherzo I'm half way through - the notes fly by as you can imagine. The Finale - I've yet to discover its delights.

The thing about this work is its crispness and solidity in form. The form is flawless in a classical sense.

Will post with the slow movement soon.

dhibbard

Thank you !!!   Note Performer does an excellent job !

Mark Thomas

That's really good news, thanks in anticipation. The Symphony's first movement really is excellent.

Alan Howe

Yes, agreed. A very fine discovery.

Gareth Vaughan

I echo Alan and Mark's opinions. Did he write any more symphonies or is this his only example?

eschiss1

Nothing else symphony-wise seems to turn up on Worldcat and I'll have to search ONB more thoroughly later. Lieder, two sets of string quartets, concert overture, capriccio, some other things...

Reverie

Alan Howe

I think you may have uncovered a masterpiece. This is truly magnificent music.

Reverie

I like it at 6.47 where the key change takes a bizarre twist. I thought it was a mistake but it makes sense.