News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Berwald Piano Concerto

Started by Joachim Raff, Tuesday 07 April 2020, 02:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Joachim Raff

Im listening to an exceptional recording of   Berwald: Piano Concerto in D major

Ana-Marija Markovina (piano)
Schleswig-Holsteinisches Sinfonieorchester
Peter Sommerer

Catalogue No: HC17027
Label: Hänssler

The album is titled Nordic Music but not sure if you need another version of Grieg. Worth getting for the Berwald alone though.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

The thread on possible couplings for Berwald's Piano Concerto reminded me that I'd never bought a recording of the piece. Having seen the recommendation given to the performance on Hänssler (above), I ordered it and I must say it's a most beautiful rendition, with limpid playing from Ana-Marija Markovina and an alert orchestral accompaniment. In my mind I'd dismissed it as an early work, but in fact it's late (1855) and very lovely.

What do others think of this work?

FBerwald

This piece, along with his symphonies made me appreciate this composer so much. I find this concerto quirky and highlights Berwald's unconventional melodic constructions. I'm astonished how much, the last movement of the PC resembles the Schumann PC.

Alan Howe

Schumann's PC was composed a decade earlier; I heard echoes too.

semloh

I've always thought of the concerto as simply enchanting, and perfectly formed. I hadn't thought of Schumann but now you say it...  My Naxos disc is fine, and I rather like the acoustic which makes the piano sound a bit distant, but a new version would always be welcome.

I came to Berwald courtesy of BBC Radio 3 broadcasting the symphonies in succession (probably when he was composer of the week in the 70s or 80s). That quirkiness mentioned by FBerwald is very apparent in the Piano Quintets  ... but I stray!