CD of Swiss orchestral music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 01 August 2020, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic

adcsound

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 03 December 2020, 14:14
I believe that they have quite enterprising plans for a series of recordings of works by Swiss composers, but focusing on previously unrecorded pieces. Maybe adcsound can tell us more? The recording is also now available on Spotify, by the way.

I work mainly - but not exclusively - for this label so I know what is planned.
It is not swiss focused (we did some Mahler pocket version symphonies and shall record the 5th next July).
We already did the takes last September for Leimer 3rd concerto (left hand) and Strauss "Panathenäenzug" (also Left hand) Berner Symphonieorchester / Gilles Vonsattel / Mario Venzago.
I shall edit next February. (Pictures on my website http://www.adcsound.ch/fr/actualites-2 if you scroll down to Septembre 2020).

For this season, the swiss symphonic productions are:
Lauber vol2 with sympho 3&6 and maybe "Die Alpen"  in 2 weeks - Biel Sinfonieorchester / Kaspar Zehnder.
Lauber vol3 with sympho 4&5 and maybe "chant du soir" next August - Biel Sinfonieorchester / Kaspar Zehnder.
Dieter Ammann with 4 symphonic pieces next August - Orchestre de la Suisse romande / Jonathan Nott

The label has a big swiss project for (1822>1882) 2022 but I can't say more right now as it's not yet sure...

I wish you all a nice weekend, Fred.

terry martyn

From all of this news, I am happy for the Swiss to claim Raff as their own for ever and a day

Alan Howe

QuoteThe label has a big swiss project for (1822>1882) 2022

Raff, evidently...

Mark Thomas

Yes, that prospect definitely brings a smile to the face. I do hope that what's planned doesn't involve too much duplication of existing recordings - I've heard rumours of an upcoming CD of Raff's music for cello and piano, mirroring an already more than adequate, modern Toccata CD. There's still plenty of unrecorded Raff to savour.

Mark Thomas

My copy of the CD arrived today - they've certainly moved quickly.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

hyperdanny

Alan Howe

eschiss1

when the hounds are barking , we know we're in the saddle :)

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The Raff Lied for soprano and orchestra is a distinct pleasure - and an indication of the Wagnerian direction his vocal/orchestral writing was taking at this stage in his career. The sleevenote suggests Lohengrin as a possible influence and one can hear why.

Mark Thomas

Yes, Wagner's influence is very clear and fits in perfectly with the fact that in the same year as Raff composed Traumkönig (1854) he published Die Wagnerfrage, an analysis of Lohengrin, and in the previous year he had written six piano works and three pieces for violin and piano based on themes from Wagner operas. It was the high point of Wagner's influence on him, which within a year or so turned to antipathy once he understood the direction in which Wagner's music was developing. He even went so far as to plan in 1856 a large scale dramatic opera as a "counterweight" to Wagner's embryonic Ring. It was still a project in 1858, but came to nothing.

eschiss1

There's now a review up from Mr Woolf at MusicWeb.

Justin

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 25 March 2021, 12:18
There's now a review up from Mr Woolf at MusicWeb.

Mr. Adriano gets a flattering shout-out!