News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Hermann (1869-1912)

Started by Balapoel, Tuesday 25 January 2011, 04:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

Hi all,
I have to say, I've rarely been affected on a first-hearing of symphonic works, but I think Robert Hermann's first symphony (on Sterling) is amazing. Sumptuous harmonies (particularly in that slow first movement) that are warm, cool, eerie, yet calm and contemplative...  And you get the feeling of a journey completed by the end. It definitely was an experience.

I am on the lookout for more of his work. I can only find 11 opus numbers, and can't find mention of 4, 8, and 9. Is anyone aware of other recordings of Hermann?

Balapoel

eschiss1

there's a 1951 Tono LP, SP 4235, that may contain among other works a song by Robert Hermann to a text by Erik Persson- not sure? but aside from that, don't know of any. Of the 2 symphonies on the Sterling CD I prefer the solemn, fatalistic even, distressing and depressing 2nd symphony myself but I do think they're both good...

Peter1953

Balapoel's enthusiastic opinion on Hermann's Symphonies meant that I've bought the Sterling disc. I've listened to both works a few times. In general the mood is quite sombre, especially the slow movement Grave in the 1st (but don't get me wrong, it's really beautiful), and in fact, as Eric stated, the whole 2nd, in particular the slow movement. Both symphonies are intriguing. If I listen concentrated to the music, I know that I have to listen again, in spite of the fact that I wasn't impressed in the beginning. However, each time I listen to both symphonies, I like them more.
I've tried to compare Hermann's style with other composers, without success. I think he really had a style of his own. Sometimes certain moments remind me of Schmidt-Kowalski, but how can that be?

If you want to hear symphonies in a (very) late romantic, unparalleled style, this Sterling disc is recommended. And BTW, the music is very well played by the Württembergische Philharmonie Reutlingen under the baton of Christopher Fifield.

Balapoel

Hi Peter, I'm glad you're enjoying the works. Upon repeated listenings, I agree - the strongest movement of the first is the Grave 2nd movement (I meant that one in my first post, not the first movement).

I also like the vaguely contrapuntal first movement of the 2nd symphony. It's hard to express the feelings that are invoked - I guess what caught me were the harmonies - advanced, but yet in service of the movement - there's not a feeling of waywardness, like I tend to get from most late Romantic symphonies (Bruckner, Mahler, etc.). I don't know if that's clear.
Balapoel

eschiss1

(though sometimes that's a sign more - ok, in my opinion- that the symphony could use a much better performance! especially with some Bruckner and Mahler, I do think.)
the ending of the first movement of Hermann 2nd seems to... whisper out for attention (niente...).  Though some of the rest of the movement is more active and agitated, the concluding bars seem (I think-- there's something especially emotionally/atmospherically strong and memorable about the symphony to the point that I've needed to take a break from it, and I've forgotten a bit- excuses, excuses...) to encapsulate much about the rest of the movement also, if I am remembering and am making any sense.  (And again, those occasional brass passages - chorales??... - besides reminding me of Bruckner, are also very impressive.)

Hrm. Have to listen again.

Here from HMB (Hofmeisters Monatsberichte) is a list of Hermann's early works, btw...

op.1 - Zwolf kleine lieder, published 1893 by Andre.
op.2 - In Philistros. Fünf Tonstücke f. Pfte. pub. 1895 by Junne in Leipzig.
op.3 -  Zwei Stücke f. Pfte u. V. (Romanze. Scherzino.) (also pub.1895 by Junne in Leipzig.) opp. 2,3 republished later that same year by Hofmeister.
op.4 - not sure.
op.5 -  Sechs kleine Lieder f. 1 mittlere Singst. m. Pfte. (pub. Junne) - pub. 1895.
op.6 - piano trio in D minor. pub. Dec. 1895 (Hofmeister.)
op.7 - symphony no.1 in C pub. Feb. 1896 (Hofmeister)
op.10 - Berceuse for piano and violin or cello (pub. 1900 by Hofmeister.)

Balapoel

Yeah, I agree - the performance matters - but I find myself liking Mahler's 10th symphony (the least characteristic according to some) the best of his ouevre. Everyone's perceptions are different, I find myself enjoying earlier romantic symphonies (I'm particularly impressed by Cipriani Potter's works, again, thanks to Albion for uploading those performances), so many of the later German Romantics seem to lack structural cohesiveness found among earlier Romantics. I find many of the later Romantic Russian and Czech symphonists more compelling, and structurally more satisfying.

Thanks for the list - I see that opp 4, 8, 9 remain missing.

eschiss1

"remain missing"? was there something to that effect elsewhere (I don't have the notes to the Sterling recording alas...)
Will try to flesh out the list using other sources though. Is it possible there is an opus 12, or is it known or suspected that the 2nd symphony is his last work? Curious about such things. And about the piano trio as his other 'big work'' I guess, though I am more interested in lieder, too, than I used to be!
Eric

Balapoel

What I mean is that I can find reference to Opp. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 in various sources, but can find no reference to opp. 4, 8, 9. I'm curious given the very few works published by Hermann, but the high quality in what I have heard. I doubt if the numbers were not assigned to some work, but it may be difficult to find where the works reside (if extant).

John H White

I agree with Peter that these works tend to impress themselves on one with repeated listening. When I first acquired the CD a year or so back I must have dismissed them as uninteresting on a single hearing. Now, having played them through around a dozen times in the last couple of weeks, I have really got to like them and the fact they are conducted by an occasional contributor to this forum makes them even more special.

Amphissa

I had not listened to these two symphonies for awhile, so I put them on last night. He tends to overwork the material a bit, but I've left this music at the top of my queue for another listen. They are more entertaining than I remembered.

DennisS

As a result of members' comments on this forum about this composer, I too bought the Sterling cd of his first and second symphonies. I have since listened a few times to the symphonies and already, they number amongst my favourites, especially symphony no 1, which is truly beautiful.

Cheers
Dennis

Pengelli

Thank goodness,a composer with a sensible sounding name!

eschiss1

filling in opus 9: piano quartet in F minor, published in 1901 by Friedrich Hofmeister - see here.  Was looking for something else, actually. Might yet find opp. 4 and 8, though. (There's also a suite in C minor op.12, according to Worldcat, for piano, pub. 1905, and a violin sonata op.13 in C-sharp minor published the same year.)

Ah! Op.4 is a concert overture for orchestra in D minor, pub about 1895.  No joy re op.8 yet. still, not a bad night's bit of research and luck, I suppose.

Balapoel

Wow, great work! I definitely would like to hear how Hermann composed for smaller forces (chamber).
Thanks,
Balapoel

eschiss1

well, both  that, the violin sonata op.13, the little pieces for violin and piano op.3, and the piano trio seem to be preserved at libraries (the trio at Munich/BSB -- though not yet scanned in by them - and Basel, the piano quartet there and at the Dutch royal library. Wilhelm Altmann seems to have written a book "Erläuterung zu dem Quartett für Pianoforte, Violine, Viola und Violoncell, componiert v. Robert Hermann" if I am understanding aright? too... maybe that's a preface to the score, or something, not a book... or an article about it (WorldCat, on which I do not really rely as much as it seems but I am in something of a hurry at the moment :) , can be confusing as the libraries it relies on...) - Altmann's was part of a series "Berlin : Illustr. Musikal. Welt"...

There's also a berceuse for piano and cello apparently without opus number (ah. no, this was published with opus number 10... as you mentioned.), and some other things...

Opus 8 finally: Fünf Lieder von H. Heine für mittlere Singstimme mit Pianoforte Begleitung. (Worldcat search again. At Basel U. pub. by Hofmeister, no date, though HMB scans at Austria library might give information. Assuming op.8 is not a typo for 5 here. Have to see if plate nos. are different. Oh. never mind, op.5 is 6 songs, op.8 is 5, whose names are given by U. Basel. The first one of the op8 group according to U Basel is "Leise ziet durch mein Gemüth". Hofmeister has a number of virtues, one of which is that it also gives first lines of the song sets it lists, as someone here mentioned.)
Eric