The Unsung/Sung Composers Unwritten Work Wish List

Started by EarlyRomantic, Thursday 31 March 2011, 03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Puccini Violin Concerto
Wagner Symphony (mature)
Mozart Violin Concerto K6..

eschiss1

would explain the popularity of all those Mozart concertos he didn't (entirely) write (Adelaide, etc.) :)

TerraEpon

Puccini and Verdi both....not to mention Wagner....I would have loved to see more long purely instrumental works from.

Revilod

I'm a big fan of Hamilton Harty's music....fresh, lyrical, spontaneous and dramatic. He would have written a fabulous opera.

kolaboy

I wish Holst had written the theme song for the TV programme "Minder" Or at least arranged it for brass.

Seriously though, I wish Finzi had completed a piano concerto; that Sibelius had not destroyed his 8th symphony; that liszt had finished St. Stanislaus; and that Mendelssohn had completed his Christus oratorio...

EarlyRomantic

Kola, As the initiator of this thread, thanks for participating in and reviving it.Your wishes are not only exciting, they're very worthy and significant. Now I want what you want! You really contributed value and interest to the original question, and I just wanted to tell you.

FBerwald

albion

The Symphony No.2 in D which Arthur Sullivan was reported to be engaged on in 1868, the Violin Concerto which Edward German certainly was engaged on in 1900 but which he abandoned in order to complete The Emerald Isle, and the Symphony by Herbert Howells that he was never engaged on at all.  :)

Hovite

Quote from: dafrieze on Thursday 31 March 2011, 14:14
I've always been amazed, given his personality and experience, that Mahler never wrote an opera

He did write about half of one, when he completed Weber's unfinished Die Drei Pintos.

Amphissa

There is a story about Rachmaninoff, when asked why he had never written a major work for violin, he said (and I'm paraphrasing), why would I write for violin when we have cello?

His cello sonata is sublime, and I always wished that he had written a cello concerto. Or maybe a double concerto for piano and cello.

I have heard a reworking of the cello sonata into a concerto by Warren Cohen. It's better than I thought it would be, as Cohen did not simply transcribe and orchestrate. (You can find it on YouTube) But still, that's not the same thing.

jerfilm

Thanks, Amphissa, for pointing to the "concerto".   I listened to it with interest, as the cello sonata is the piece that first turned me on to chamber music as a whole.  And surely is my favorite sonata for that instrument.  I suppose if you had never heard the sonata, one might be slightly impressed with the concerto but IMHO the piano makes the sonata.   I've said this before here, I think.   He might well have called it a piano sonata with cello obbligato.

For me, it falls into the same catagory as the so-called 5th Piano Concerto in which in my opinion, the piano part doesn't sound like Rachmaninoff at all.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

Jerry

Amphissa

I agree of course. I do wish he really had written a cello concerto.

Jimfin

An Elgar opera would undoubtedly have been a wonderful thing. And I wish Mackenzie had written the symphony he apparently worked on.

semloh

No good wishing really - but still, I would have liked a late symphony by George Butterworth, for obvious reasons - damn that 'war to end all wars'!  :(

A Concerto for Hardanger Fiddle & Orchestra by Grieg, just because it would have sounded so magnificent!

And, lastly, a magical, transcendent Guitar Concerto by Delius ..... his impressionistic style is so suited to the guitar, it has always baffled me why no guitarists seem attracted to his music.  ???

Jimfin

Oh, I love the idea of a Delius guitar concerto! And so many of these other ideas.