News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gösta Nystroem

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 25 June 2011, 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Nystroem is a composer I had not really bothered with - until now. I decided to take a punt on Svetlanov's recording of the Sinfonia del Mare (i.e. Symphony No.3) of 1947-8 and find it to be a thoroughly interesting piece. The nearest parallels might be Bax, with even a hint of Holst here and there. One thing is certain is that Nystroem is a colourist of distinction - unsurprising, perhaps, as he was also a painter in his early years.

britishcomposer

The 3rd is really a powerful piece. I had recorded a broadcast production from the Westdeutscher Rundfunk back in 1993 and was very impressed. But the 1971 recording of Westerberg with Elisabeth Söderström is quite a different category, absolutely compelling and moving. I don't know the Svetlanov recording though I am sure it can stand up to Westerberg's standard. (Svetlanov's recording of Stenhammar's 2nd PC is the most dramatic and powerful I have yet come to know.)
Have you tried his other symphonies? BIS offers a free streaming of its complete catalogue (though somehow it doesn't work at the moment.)
I must say that none impressed me as did No. 3 - perhaps it is just because I know the 3rd for such a long time. The Sinfonia concertante for cello is a fine piece, much more in the vein of the 3rd and the 'Sånger vid havet'. All three date from the 1940s.
If I had to name an obvious influence I would choose Arthur Honegger. He was very important to the young Swedish composers who went to Paris during the 1920s.

eschiss1

I think I've only or mostly heard one or two works so far- will have to check, at that- but good stuff all of it.

Alan Howe

Yes, Honegger is in the mix too...

alberto

Some years ago I received the gift of two Nystroem recordings (suggestions of a very capable, and surviving, retailer).
They were:
-The Violin Concerto (live recording of first performance -1957- soloist .T.Varga, Gothenburg Sym., cond.S.Eckerberg- Label "Tibor Varga collection" 23). Impressive, gloomy, rather expressionist.
-"Nystroem Songs" (C.Hellekant, mezzo - Label "Daphne" 1017). Generally good stuff, in idiom changing towards complexity (as the songs went from 1914 to 1949): I didn't really dedicate to them time enough.
Later I could listen the "Sinfonia del Mare" a couple of times in the Westerberg recording: very impressive.
Recently I bought (I confess: as a bargain) a recording with the two Concertos for Strings: in some way rather honeggerian but (in my up to now superficial opinion) not particularly outstanding.
I have no meditated conclusion to offer (except, to myself, that I have too many records). But the forum is a good occasion for me (time allowing) of listening again and further, of catching suggestions. 

M. Henriksen

britishcomposer

No, I didn't know! It is available from jpc but not yet shown on the BIS website! Strange...
I thought they had decided against another No. 3 but No. 1 was of course still missing. I like the Sinfonia breve though it is quite tough.

M. Henriksen

It's my experience that this happens quite often with new BIS releases. The BIS website is not quite up to date. This new disc is already available from jpc, and will be released in the UK in early August (I think.., please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Morten