Ildebrando Pizzetti and his prayer for our time...

Started by febnyc, Tuesday 12 April 2011, 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

The chamber music of Ildebrando Pizzetti (1880-1968) speaks to me, and no more strongly than in the second movement of his beautiful Violin Sonata (1918/1919).  Pizzetti gave it the title Preghiera per gl'innocenti (Prayer for the innocents).  He imagined the theme being sung to the words O Signor Iddio nostro, o Signore, abbi pieta di tutti gli innocenti che non sanno perche si deve soffrire (O Lord our God, O Lord, have pity on all the innocent ones who know not why they have to suffer).  This music, almost one hundred years old, nevertheless should be a hymn to all those around our troubled globe who, for no fault of their own, are in such distress.

Some of Pizzetti's chamber compositions (Cello Sonata, especially) reflect his grief at the loss of his first wife - and also limn the horrors of war.  But this single movement is stunningly appropriate to our time.

alberto

I share appreciation for Pizzetti Violin Sonata, much enjoying the Second Quartet (there was a MP cd), the Piano Trio of 1925 (Mp turned Naxos) and the later piano Sonata (Dynamic cd).
Some months ago I could buy and at last listen to a new recording of the opera "Fedra" (1915) : a live recording of 2008 by the invaluable Montpellier Radio France Festival (Accord 2010 release- two cd 4803437, timing 2h 07').
Impressive and much cultivated music, voted to austerity and aiming to, and quite often reaching, nobility. The limit may be the "declamato" singing allotted to the individual characters, while the orchestral writing is always interesting, sometimes compelling (so the choral writing, not being granted to the chorus a fundamental role, as it will happen, much later, in "Murder in the Cathedral").
So I shortly, and belatedly, reply to Pengelli (topic "Pizzetti" 21/8/09).

Pengelli

Yes indeed,that took a while to get going! Is that a record?
I rather like the Naxos/ Marco Polo recording of his 'Canti della Stagione alta' for Piano & orchestra & I was gobsmacked when a new recording of it was given a terrible review by a Gramophone critic,although maybe it just was a bad performance/ recording? Anyway,needless to say I love it. It is full of lovely tunes,especially the soaring,life affirming theme in the first movement which returns so movingly towards the end of the third movement. Indeed,in a truly fair world it should have been the theme music for some famous romantic movie. (The films of Fellini & the music of Rota spring to mind). It is certainly one of the Marco Polo labels best efforts. Although,even I'll admit, it does have some moment's of bombast,but with most of the music this good,who cares? I only wish Chandos would do it.
  I also really enjoyed the Hyperion cd's,the string quartets & the Chandos cd. Also,and I know I really SHOULDN'Y say this,but I think his 'Messa di Requiem' is a masterpiece. At least to my ears! In a word,Sublime!
  Someone on a rival forum described the Naxos cd of his 'Concerto dell 'Estate' as disappointing. While I would not regard this as on the level of the above mentioned recordings I would not go as far as that. Although the music is  not quite as memorable as Respighi at his most inspired Pizzetti certainly had a similairly acute ear for colourful orchestration & it is very hard to understand why it has taken so long for a new recording to emerge & why we hear so much of Respighi & so little of Pizzetti. In fact,I rather suspect a more vivacious & better prepared orchestra with a more inspired conductor could make allot more out of this unjustly neglected gem,not to mention the other items on the cd.
More Ildebrando Pizzetti please!

alberto

The only recording I know after the Marco Polo/Naxos of Canti della Stagione Alta was a 2006 live recording by the veteran (and still very good) Aldo Ciccolini, F.Layer cond. and the National Montpellier Orchestra (ACCORD 480 0790 - contains also Rondò Veneziano).
Personally I don't find nothing to worry about. By the way the Ciccolini recording, at more measured tempos than MP and with a much longer cadenza by the composer, has a first movement lasting 18' 59" (second 9' 31"; third 9'47").
I know and own an earlier recording (1981- esoteric label FY 102, LP only) with Marisa Borini, R.Alberth cond. and Bavarian Radio Orchestra (timings I 20' 38"; II-III linked 19' 23").
Between U.K. critics Pizzetti got also exalted opinions (see Robert Layton in Penguin Guide 2010 about "Murder in the Cathedral" in DVD: it was judged "the discovery of the year").   

Pengelli

Thank you for the useful comparisons. 'Canti della stagione alta' is not a masterpiece,wonderful as (I think) it is,but at least two of the 'tunes' are memorable & the one in the opening movement is a real belter! It certainly deserves better than a catty review by some Gramophone nonentity. Does he actually feel proud of working for that rag?* (And now I'm being catty!)
  Regarding the Accord recording of 'Fedra'. This is of the 2008 Montpelier performance which was broadcast on R3 & which I managed to capture a good part of using a conveniently placed but not exactly hi-fi cassette recorder. I also have a 'historic recording' from the 50's in rather abysmal sound even for that era. However,the opera impressed me enough to make me feel that Pizzetti's opera's do deserve a re-assessment. Unfortunately,the Accord has not been available in this country until now. Following your post I had another look & I see it is now listed on MDT for only £12.95 plus p&p!
More Pizzetti please!

* I used to love that magazine!