Marcel Tyberg Second Symphony

Started by JeremyMHolmes, Monday 09 May 2011, 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

Ms. Falletta tellsme that she is negotiating now with Naxos for recording No. 1.
I get the feeling that Naxos is really starting to tighten their belts. Bad news?

Mark Thomas

I understand that even they are now being hit by the drop in sales of physical CDs. It's not good news.

giles.enders

The alleged drop in sales doesn't surprise me.  There was a time when I could be induced to purchase at least one or two Naxos CD's a month just out of curiosity but during the last three or so years there has been very little to whet my appetite

Mark Thomas

I don't think it's repertoire, Giles. It's the general shift in buying patterns from CDs to digital downloads. The "classical" market has lagged behind other sectors until now, but the download phenomenon has begun to affect it too.

Jonathan

Well the disc arrived and I am thoroughly enjoying the symphony - Alan was quite right about the Bruckner connection, especially in the first movement!  The second seems to me to be more like Brahms.  Scherzo next...

sdtom

I too have ordered it and look forward to hearing it also.
Tom

Mark Thomas

What a fine, satisfying work this is. The influence of Bruckner is plain for all to hear throughout the piece and, despite being the opposite of an avowed Brucknerian, I think it's a wholly positive one as it is mainly apparent in the orchestration and in his harmonic language. I was also reminded of Franz Schmidt, particularly so for some reason in the finale - a grand, serious Prelude followed by a joyous Fugue. At 42 minutes duration, it is a generously proportioned but not over-long work, with the four movements of roughly equal length and none of them outstaying their welcome by even a second. Melodically it is a rich feast, particularly the first three movements. Although Tyberg uses his themes sparingly, they are well chosen, effective and memorable. The Symphony was written in 1927, but wouldn't have raised too many eyebrows thirty years earlier. All in all, I'm hard pressed to think of a major work in recent years which has both impressed me so much at first hearing, but which clearly has a great deal more to reveal at further listening.

I do hope that the Piano Sonata is as rewarding.

Jonathan

Hi Mark,
It is!  The first movement has a theme which has been stuck in my head all day.  Happy listening...

Peter1953

What a wonderful music! One of my most exciting discoveries of the year so far, thanks to our forum. Both his 2nd Symphony and his 2nd Piano Sonata are amazingly good. The development of the thematic material of the symphony reminds me more of Bruckner than Mahler, but as Mark said, also of Franz Schmidt. What a tuneful and powerful melodies, and how subtle the slow movements are. Yes, a trouvaille... Very impressive indeed.
BTW, are you in for a gorgeous, purely romantic Piano Trio? Try Tyberg.

DennisS

I listened again this morning to the symphony and am even more impressed. As a number of members have commented, the influence of Bruckner is very obvious, especially for me in the first movement and also at the end of the fourth movement. The symphony ends joyously as has also been noted. The melodies are lovely and the orchestration is masterly. A superb symphony!

sdtom

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 10 August 2013, 05:22
I understand that even they are now being hit by the drop in sales of physical CDs. It's not good news.

They seem to have both digital and CD's covered for now. My daughter who is 32 doesn't own a CD.
Tom

sdtom

I finally got my copy of the Tyberg and am beginning to do a review of it. Are we sure this isn't an undiscovered Bruckner work ?  ;D

Tom

sdtom

Quote from: Tapiola on Monday 29 July 2013, 17:53
Naxos has already recorded the First Sonata and the Sextet.  I think Falletta will also do the First Symphony. Funding has been arranged for Naxos to record all surviving Tyberg scores. The First Sonata is every bit the equal to the Second.

I agree with you on the BPO/Falletta recording the first symphony, but I'd guess it will be a year off.
Tom

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/symphony-no-2tyberg/

The completion of my review and in conclusion I can say that it is highly recommended.
Tom

BFerrell

Ms. Falletta's schedule is booked through May 2014. I have been talking to her about championing Harold Shapero which she is ready to do. But, she is a very busy lady! Late next year is my guess on the Tyberg 1st. She wants to schedule it with the Buffalo Phil first.