News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gernsheim quartet

Started by eschiss1, Friday 29 April 2011, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Steve's Bedroom Band has made several very good recordings recently, but I thought it worth pointing out, given the interests of some people on this forum (which I share) that the Band has turned its attention to Gernsheim's 33-minute 1870s string quartet no.1 - here.

Mark Thomas

jerfilm

Very, very nice.  Oh, if he'd do some piano quartets, quintets........

eschiss1

points to since I thought this was an open secret by now...

Alan Howe

Thanks for the link to the quartet, Eric. Gernsheim was master at this sort of thing, wasn't he?

eschiss1

alas I haven't even heard quartet no.2 from the Audite recording yet- but everything I know so far suggests a hearty "yes" and a (grateful) "more please". (I did read the review at Amazon of that Audite recording, and the bit about the writer finding the music - without difficulty says the review, I might guess from a number of available sources now - IMSLP, Merton, Edition Silvertrust, etc. - and performing it at least twice- with the impetus of that recording - one I didn't even know was available on my side of the pond until a few days ago by the way- gave me some pleasure in itself! I hope the other three of his unrecorded str. quartets will follow from some good performing group soon, be it SBB or elsewhere...)

eschiss1

he's now uploaded a recording of quartet 5 in A (op83, pub.1911) too, a delightful piece I think that reminds me some of the lovely 4th quartet by Fuchs (in the same key...) published 5 years later, especially the mood and harmonic treatment of the opening movements.

Ilja

They also did Reznicek's Third Quartet, which is certainly worth the download.

eschiss1

likewise the Sinigaglia D major, in my opinion.
note that "they" is "he" (a violinist/violist in England), as previously pointed out from a link..., which is the main reason one's unlikely (though not -definitely- going not) to have works with other-than-strings from "the Band"...