Respighi for piano and orchestra

Started by alberto, Friday 20 May 2011, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Brilliant Classics has just released :
O.Respighi "Toccata" and "Concerto in modo misolidio" for piano and orch. (Brilliant Classics 94055. Sandro Ivo Bartoli piano, Staatsorchester der Saechsische Landesbuehnen, Michele Carulli cond.).
After a couple of listenings (as a simple listener) I would say good perfomances at rather measured tempos. No alternative in just one CD (otherwise at least Naxos and Chandos, for the Concerto also Ondine - and an old M.P. different from Naxos).

Rob H

I've heard Bartoli in the Tschaikovski/Pabst Eugene Onegin paraphrase when there wasn't a decent recording of it (thanks to Ginzburg and Marshev releases since then) and was disappointed because of that measured pace. I don't get a strong feel of dramatic tension and release from him.

adriano

The interpretations and tempi of this disc are such a bore!
Greetingf from Switzerland
Adriano
Conductor/Composer

allegrofurioso

Hi guys. "Hammyplay": did you ever hear  Shura Cherkassky play the Onegin Paraphrase? He was a truly great pianist and  I'd recommend his rendition over any other (of course, his recording was around for many years before Bartoli's; there is also a live Carnegie Hall performance that is just, well, mindblowing). Good luck with these! The Respighis, I'm afraid, are works that need more hearing and experience, methinks. All the best,
Allegro x

Rob H

Hi Allegro, Yes I've heard Cherkassky's recording of this piece (as well as Ponti, Marshev and Bobrovnikova) and Cherkassky is high on my list of pianists but my personal favourite recording of this is by the wonderful Grigory Ginsburg.
Rob