A query regarding a particular recording...

Started by kolaboy, Thursday 02 June 2011, 00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

It's always been my understanding that the extant "orchestrated bars" of the third movement were in Schubert's hand. I've not (in 30 years) heard any argument that would suggest that they are not, or that that was in any way a contentious point.

JimL

Not only in Schubert's hand, but found with the rest of the MS in Josef Hüttenbrenner's cupboard.

ahinton

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Thursday 02 June 2011, 19:00
it's probably true of all great composers that, to some extent, they scale greater heights as they get older.  Nevertheless, it I find it fascinating that serious musicians are sometimes antipathetic to composers who are considered among the greats -- Delius's dislike of Beethoven and Britten's antipathy towards Brahms spring immediately to mind.  Puccini is my particular bête noire!
Those examples are perhaps some of the most notable, although Delius had quite a few other pet hates bestides Beethoven and, on the other hand, Britten's evident dislike of Brahms by no means included his D minor piano concerto which he never actually performed but of which he thought very highly; Britten also found much of Elgar distasteful, yet in his last years he conducted a performance of Gerontius which he'd hardly have done had he not either had a change of heart or made something of an exception of this monumentally great work. As for me, I suppose that one thing that often (though not necessarily always) bothers me is composers who write/wrote very large numbers of works - I'm thinking of such figures as Hovhaness, Milhaud, Villa-Lobos, Bentzon, Krenek et al - in terms of the obvious problem of concentration of substance; this is one reason why I find Schubert largely problematic, but that's a mere personal take - no more, no less.

alberto

About reply 14 (I see replies in the meantime).
No proofs from the old 1967 CBS record I mentioned and owe. It, in anonymous and shortish sleeve notes, simply claims for autenthicity.

jerfilm

Arthur Hoehn was Minnesota Public Radio's first classical music DJ, if you will and his "Music Through the Night" was satellite syndicated over NPR to over 130 stations in the US.  Perhaps if you contacted Minnesota Public Radio they could help you with your original question.

Jerry

chill319

IIRC, what we have of Schubert's orchestration of the scherzo is a fair copy that continues to the end of a music sheet. Given the haphazard disposition of Schubert's Nachlass, there is a distinct possibility that one day further pages will turn up.

eschiss1

Alberto - Visiting Wikipedia's article on Schubert's symphony in B minor (there are too many Schubert unfinisheds, including the E major and D major, for me to want to refer to it that way, but going on) the claim that the 3rd movement is as claimed is sourced (clicking on their reference link) to something by Brian Newbould (Brian Newbould, Schubert and the Symphony: A New Perspective, pp.180-181). The liner notes to the recording not possessing that information, it still seems easy enough to at least see where more information about this can be found, then!

alberto

Brian Newbould wrote (1984, booklet for N.Marriner recording of "The Schubert TEN Symphonies") about the M.S. of the Symphony in B minor : "Schubert began a scherzo but probably never finished it.......For the third movement, we have an entire scherzo sketched in piano score, and a melody line for the first section of the trio. There are also two pages of Schubert's orchestration".
(By the way B.N. wrote that the M.S. was in possess of Anselm Huttenbrenner (not of the brother Joseph).

kolaboy

The Newbould  assertions regarding the authenticity of the orchestration of the opening bars of mvmt 3 of the eighth (what a sentence!) are pretty much put forward as fact in Schauffler's Schubert biography (The Ariel Of Music, 1949). In fact I've not seen a serious biographical study that suggests otherwise. Then there's the theory that the original 4th mvmt of the 8th ended up as the Entr'acte Music No. 1 from Rosamunde.... but I won't even get into that :)

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Hopefully at some point that recording will be reissued...

JimL

I knew it was one of the Hüttenbrenner brothers who informed Herbeck that the other brother was in possession of Schubert scores, I just couldn't remember which!