Conradin Kreutzer on Dutch Radio

Started by Josh, Thursday 02 June 2011, 18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Posted elsewhere by ornstein and moved here:

A nice surprise to find the Kreutzer Concertos. I had them once on reel tapes, I never managed to convert... and now all the tapes have gone.
The pianist in no.1 is Monika von Saalfeld, who once was busy to record such repertoire (i.e. Kalliwoda, Hummel and so on). The beautiful Concerto no.2 was also once recorded by Benedikt Koehlen
for the WDR. The correct name of the pianist in your redording (probably Bavarian Radio) is
Günther Ludwig. And the name of the twice mentioned Orchestra is Kurpfälzisches Kammerorchester once placed in Mannheim; unsure whether it still exists... No.1 and 3 are recordings of the former SWF.
This all comes from times when broadcast stations in Germany were on better level and followed their aim to discover the culture and heritage of their regions.... Also this has gone by---

eschiss1

The situation (e.g. with radio orchestras, etc.) in the USA was- reactionary though it makes me feel for saying so (I am not so much so as I sound... :) ) - also quite a lot better in some such ways, I gather and has deteriorated by steps.  (Have looked at many a radio listing in microfiche back issues of newspapers of the US and Britain- among other sources of info. Anyhow. Still - tangent explosion- apologies.)
Thanks much for all that information, much appreciated.

Ornstein (if you see this)- though it seems unlikely based on what you said... any relation to Severo Ornstein (and hence, to Lev?)

eschiss1

Re the pianist (orch. still unknown, conductor likewise?) in no.1, pianist in no.2- can reupload the ZIP so that the internals of the mp3 files (as seen by Quicktime / iTunes) reflect this more accurately, if desired (rather than no.2 still having a sounding-about-right-but-still-wrong name for the pianist, e.g.)