News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Godard from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 04 June 2011, 21:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I can assure everyone on this forum that shouting WAKE UP at Hyperion will not produce the desired effect.

Alan Howe

Quite so, Gareth. Relationships need to be built on trust and quiet discussion rather than megaphone diplomacy...

Ilja

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 05 June 2011, 03:06
I'm not too sure Godard was very geographically savvy.  Elephants in Arabia?  Camels, maybe, but elephants are either African or Asian.  They may be found in desert terrain in southwest Africa, but not on the Sinai or Arabian peninsulas, nor am I aware of them being found in any parts of northern Africa above the Sahara Desert (i.e. Arab North Africa).  If anybody knows of elephants being associated with anything Arabian fill me in. ;D

Sorry to be the pedant here, but elephants were well-known in Arabia in ancient times, being imported from India. Likewise, you might have seen lions from Africa, Sumatran tigers and other exotic animals. Cheetahs in particular were very popular as pets in aristocratic circles, not only in Arabia but also in Persia and Assyria. The animal trade is a LOT older than many people think.

eschiss1

... is that better or worse than laughably awe-inspiring... (actually, now that seems a contradiction in terms somehow. :)  I haven't seen score or heard any version but for some reason hope it was at least more than a little the performance, though and that the new one is an improvement.

JimL

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 06 June 2011, 10:05
Quote from: JimL on Sunday 05 June 2011, 03:06
I'm not too sure Godard was very geographically savvy.  Elephants in Arabia?  Camels, maybe, but elephants are either African or Asian.  They may be found in desert terrain in southwest Africa, but not on the Sinai or Arabian peninsulas, nor am I aware of them being found in any parts of northern Africa above the Sahara Desert (i.e. Arab North Africa).  If anybody knows of elephants being associated with anything Arabian fill me in. ;D

Sorry to be the pedant here, but elephants were well-known in Arabia in ancient times, being imported from India. Likewise, you might have seen lions from Africa, Sumatran tigers and other exotic animals. Cheetahs in particular were very popular as pets in aristocratic circles, not only in Arabia but also in Persia and Assyria. The animal trade is a LOT older than many people think.
I'm still right then.  Asian elephants imported for the pleasure of the sultans, sheikhs and caliphs.  NOT native to Arabia.

Alan Howe

OK, gentlemen, moving on from this zoological digression...

FBerwald

Lets all give Godard the benefit of the doubt. Even Saint-Saens seemingly misplaced his map when he wrote the second movement of the Egyptian concerto... There are some definite Indian Ragas lurking in there. But in the end it sounds so beautiful.. so who actually cares if its called of Egyptian or Russian or from The Land of the Bumbly Boo. A point to note - NONE of us have heard the Godard 'Symphony'. So lets wait till we all have a chance to do THAT before we pronounce judgement.

Also About Cowen's Indian Rhapsody, I have heard many ppl complaining about the un-Indian-ness of it! I agree it doesn't quote ragas but if you are familiar with the folk tunes of the regions of Mizoram, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, a lot of the music uses syncopation and [oriental] melodic effect that are reflected in the Rhapsody. Also if any of you watch old Black and White Hindi films -1957/58 or even the background music of Satyajit Ray films, The Rhapsody seems justified in the name 'Indian'!!  [Of corse I'm sure Cowen wasn't aware of any of this!]

Mark Thomas

QuoteNONE of us have heard the Godard 'Symphony'. So lets wait till we all have a chance to do THAT before we pronounce judgement.
Ummm, I have heard a different performance of it - which is why I pronounced!  ;D

Rob H

Can't wait to get hold of this! Without sounding greedy even before this one fas been released I wonder if there's a chance that Dutton will do a second CD with the second concerto and Persian fantaisie?

Alan Howe

I've emailed Dutton about the release date - but no reply as yet. Think I might phone them...

Mykulh

Could this be the start of a Godard revival? This composer,  known mostly for the Berceuse from his opera "Jocelyn," had quite an output. Among his other colorful orchestral works are the following Symphonies: Symphonie Dramatique for Soloists, Chorus and Orchestra, Op.39 "Le Tasse" (Tasso) (1878), Symphony (1880), Symphonie-Ballet, Op. 60 (1882), Symphonie Gothique, Op. 23 (1883) and Symphonie Légendaire, Op. 100 (1886). Perhaps some of these will see the light of recordings one day?

edurban

I looked through the New York Times archive and found 3 reviews of NY performances of the "Oriental" Symphony.  Things started off well in June of 1890 when Theodore Thomas conducted his orchestra in what may have been the NY premiere: "the composition is likely to prove popular, chiefly by reason of its graceful and fluent treatment of striking and characteristic themes, the fifth and concluding movement, a "Marche Turque" being especially impressive..." Almost 25 years later (Jan 26, 1914), the Philharmonic (conductor not specified) gave its first performance of the piece and the reaction was more jaded: "...a symphony intended by the composer to suggest in five movements five Eastern countries.  But his musical orientalism is considerably diluted with the characteristics of European music and his own musical inspiration shines more interesting in some of his other compositions..."  Finally, the piece was revived by the Philharmonic under Stransky in December of 1917, and dismissed as a "...work of indescribable dullness..." 

As the playwright says, "Nothing recedes like Success."

David

jerfilm

Interesting.  Were the three reviews written by the same person?  Would seem unlikely.  If so, it certainly illustrates how a given piece of music will strike each of us in a different way. 

Don't you occasionally find yourself disagreeing with just about everything a certain reviewer has to say?  When I find one of those folks,  I often discover things I want to purchase.....

Digressing on the subject of reviews, years ago I was asked to write reviews of the programs done in a local concert series (town of 8,000 mind you).   Which I did and enjoyed doing.  But gave up  my job when I was told that they didn't want "critical"  (translation: negative) things written - only good reviews to sell more season tickets next year......thus ended my careet as a critic.....

Jerry

eschiss1

yes (and then even with them there's the odd exception of great agreement, sometimes. going further would probably require naming names. or coloring-in manes. or something.)

albion

All the new Dutton Epoch (both 'European' and 'British') releases are now up on their main page, so presumably they are now available for purchase.

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

;D