News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I second John's grateful thanks to Maris and Edward for these splendid additions :) I must admit to having never heard of Norman Demuth :-[

The addition of two more works to the Alun Hoddinott and William Mathias Archives reinforces the importance of these collections on this site. What is held here are, without doubt, the most extensive collections in existence of these two very significant Welsh composers' work :)

albion

From shamokin88 -

Daniel Jones (1912-1993) - Comedy Overture (1943); Concert Overture No.2 (1951); Suite, Dobra niva (1956); Capriccio for Flute, Harp and Strings (1965)

These vintage recordings will significantly increase our knowledge of Jones' orchestral catalogue.

Many thanks, Edward.

:)

Dundonnell

Splendid!

More Daniel Jones: thanks Edward, and John Pickard's Symphony No.2: thanks to Latvian.

Well worth getting up very late (as per usual on a Sunday ;D))

albion

From Latvian -

David Bedford (1937-2011) - Symphony No. 1 (1985)
John Pickard (b.1963) - Symphony No. 2 (1989)

and from HerbieG -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - Trial by Jury (1875)

Many thanks to both members.

eschiss1

Latvian posted - to the corresponding thread here I think- a recording of Groves' recording of the first three movements of Brian's first symphony. Just wanted to mention again that Groves was not, as stated, the only person to take that option- there is a rehearsal, which I am fairly sure was recorded and circulates, conducted by Marc Fitzgerald, of the  'Planets for pleasure' ad hoc orchestra (15 September 1984) (I think I have this performance on tape somewhere- the timings of the tape differ quite enough from Groves' for it to be distinguishable, and the ending again is noticeably a strong cadence rather than an easing into the choral finale so it seems not likely to be just the first three movements of another performance cut off from the rest...)
Just a slight demurral :)

Latvian

QuoteLatvian posted - to the corresponding thread here I think- a recording of Groves' recording of the first three movements of Brian's first symphony. Just wanted to mention again that Groves was not, as stated, the only person to take that option- there is a rehearsal, which I am fairly sure was recorded and circulates, conducted by Marc Fitzgerald, of the  'Planets for pleasure' ad hoc orchestra (15 September 1984)

You're quite correct, Eric. I had completely overlooked this rendition since it is not listed on the Brian Society website as a "performance." I'd be curious to hear it if you're able to dig out your tape!

eschiss1

My copy has an oddly brief scherzo(-finale ) (at 7'36") - about half the timing of the scherzo of any other version - ah. Now I see why. It's cut off because it's the last 3 tracks of a 80 minute CD - I -didn't- digitize the whole thing. That would explain it... that seems to have happened a lot (and I use a family member's equipment, not my own. Will find the tape somewhere and at some point digitize the whole thing. uploading the 2.5 movements I have digitized faute de mieux, though :( ... )

albion

The next instalment in the 1989 BBC Savoy series -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - The Sorcerer (1877)

In case members are wondering why such comparatively well-known works are being added to the archive, there are two principal reasons: the excellence of the performances (by many ENO stalwarts of the 1980s) and the unusual (in terms of recordings) inclusion of dialogue. There is a slight tape-turn-over break towards the end of Act I.

Many thanks to HerbieG for providing the files ...

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 31 January 2012, 01:40My copy has an oddly brief scherzo(-finale ) (at 7'36") - about half the timing of the scherzo of any other version - ah. Now I see why. It's cut off because it's the last 3 tracks of a 80 minute CD - I -didn't- digitize the whole thing. That would explain it...

As posted on another thread, eschiss1 has sent files of Marc Fitzgerald's 1984 rendition of Part One of Brian's Gothic Symphony.

Many thanks, Eric.

albion

... and the next one up is -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - H.M.S. Pinafore; or, The Lass that Loved a Sailor (1878)

Thanks, Herbie.

albion

Many thanks to Latvian for the following partsongs by Havergal Brian (1876-1972) -

Stars of a summer night (1905); Tell me, thou soul of her I love (1906); Come o'er the sea (1906); Lullaby of an infant chief (1906); In a fairy boat (1906); Fairies' song (1908); Daybreak (1910); Grace for a child (1914); Fair pledges of a fruitful tree (1919); Fear no more the heat o' the sun (1919); Tell me, where is fancy bred? (1919); Full fathom five (1921); Introit Amen (c.1925)

Jimfin

Those are exquisite, Latvian: it's always fascinating to hear Brian away from the orchestra, as so much of his output used it.

albion

Thanks to HerbieG for the next entry in our Savoy collection as broadcast under Mackerras et al in 1989 -

Arthur Sullivan - The Pirates of Penzance; or, The Slave of Duty (1879)

albion

The next chronologically -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - Patience; or, Bunthorne's Bride (1881)

The only one of the series conducted by Ashley Lawrence.

Many thanks, Herbie.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, Latvian, for the Brian partsongs - I don't know them at all!