News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Movement titles

Started by JimL, Thursday 09 June 2011, 03:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I was wondering if anyone knows or can tell me how and where to find the movement headings for the following two works:

Ewald Straesser
Piano Concerto in E minor

Anton Urspruch
Piano Concerto in E-flat Major

eschiss1

Urspruch: Allegro ma non troppo -- Andante lento e mesto -- Allegro. (source: the catalog of the Free Library of Philadelphia, which also lists the instrumentation:
so-pn, 2-fl, 2-ob, 2-cl, 2-bn, 4-hn, 2-tpt, tmp, str - that is , solo piano, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, timpani, strings (that is, the usual, this time around.) Alas as to Strässer this is not one of the 4 works by Strässer they have.

JimL

Much obliged, Mr. Schissel!  Try and find out where the score of the Strässer might be catalogued.

eschiss1

I did try. With painfully little success. Did find out the name of the publisher- ah! And a review, just now, of the publication of the 2pf (" f. 2 Pfte zu 4 Hdn") score that lists the four movements. Unfortunately it's cropped so that some of the text is missing. Moderato, ziemlich (skips line, text missing)
Presto, Moderato energico. (op.8 in E minor, pub.1896.) I'm guessing that the movements are

Moderato
Ziemlich ?
Presto
Moderato energico

ok, that's a start, will see if I can find out what's missing from that. The publisher's name, I think, was "vom Ende" of Cologne (really...) (they seem to have been his main publisher at least in the late 1890s- later he switched to Tischer & Jagenburg, I think- something like that. Wonder what's become of his 2? violin concertos (opp36, 55) - a 1902 article mentions a performance of a cello concerto by him too that I hadn't heard of. Hrm! Erm. anyway. looking about the remaining movement of the piano concerto or rather, for it.

JimL

From what I got of the download it was just a 3 movement concerto.  And there didn't seem to be a presto movement.

eschiss1

hrm. maybe a revision of the earlier work, maybe only a partial upload... inaccurate description in the review... can't say. btw "vom Ende" is "H. vom Ende's Verlag" (which is in turn short for something even longer, but... (ah. Heinrich vom Ende's Verlag. Found...)- I wonder if they were bought by Tischer&Jagenburg or something (hence maybe his going almost entirely from one publisher to another, with a couple works being brought out by others inbetween if I remember... well, thin reed, almost no reed, to build even a guess upon. still, I like thinking about these things now-- IMSLP has made me interested in the history of music publishing which I was not before! sorry.