News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ivanhoe

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 20 July 2009, 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Apparently, Chandos recorded Sullivan's grand opera Ivanhoe this June, which is great news for those of us who have been listening to, and despairing of, that dismal old Pearl recording. The conductor was David Lloyd-Jones. Full details in this thread at the Chandos Forum.

Alan Howe

Good news indeed. Can you give us an idea what the opera is like, Mark?

Mark Thomas

In all honesty, although I have struggled several times with the Pearl set, I have never made it beyond one CD at a time!

Filtered through the dreadful sound and mannered performance comes, I hope, the "serious" Sullivan of The Golden Legend  or The Martyr of Antioch. Those are pretty fine works, superbly orchestrated and certainly melodious, but not in as profligate a way as the Savoy operas and without all the dotted rhythms and bounce. But if I'm honest I'm guessing that's the case as the performance on the Pearl recordings is so stodgy and laboured that I just can't believe that anything by Sullivan could be like that.

The work garnered only a successe d'estime in its time, but if Chandos are prepared to devote so much time and energy to recording it then I'm very hopeful that it will prove to be at least as good as his serious choral works, which I rate quite highly.

sdtom

Perhaps the Rozsa music from the Ivanhoe film is an easier listen?

Mark Thomas

Maybe, but I've always found both serious and light Sullivan played well a rewarding listen. It's Sulliavn played badly that I have the problem with....

edurban

A fine new recording should make it possible for us to evaluate G.B.Shaw's blistering review of the original production.  Shaw could be so diabolically amusing that sometimes one wonders if he's being a serious critic or a Victorian insult comic...

Mark Thomas

I agree, Shaw was a man of "strong opinions", one of which was that Wagner was a musical deity without compare. Brahms he loathed, together with anything smacking of the English tradition of oratorio and music dominated by the Mendelssohn's huge legacy in the country. On the other hand, he valued Goetz' Symphony. He is, though, a hugely entertaining read.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I sang in the chorus for the recording of some extracts from Ivanhoe when I was with the D'Oyly Carte. TER (That's Entertainment Records) made the recording; there were other excerpts from other unusual pieces too - Martyr of Antioch, Haddon Hall, etc. Anyhow, the music was rather good, I thought, in a fairly sold Germanic way, but with hints here and there of an almost indefinable Englishness. As you'd expect with Sullivan there were some jolly good tunes. Sadly, he is let down by the libretto which contains some horrors - not least of which is a "Drinking" Chorus containing the immortal line: "Troll the brown bowl to me." (I seem to recall that a number of takes were necessary for that section - can't think why!)

JimL

How do you "troll" a bowl?  Is it anything like "goblining" a goblet? ;D

Mark Thomas

Yes, the libretto is a shocker, but this has to be a welcome release. Roll on February.

Alan Howe

Yes, may February come trollin' along quickly! (With apologies to Julian and Sandy.)

Sorry, you've got to be 50+, British and like radio comedy to get that reference...

edurban

Mark , I don't know if you saw my update, but the recording date for Macfarren's Robin Hood has been rescheduled to this Spring.  Wallace's Lurline is still on track.  The English opera revival continues with minor setbacks...

David

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

Jim - "troll" is an archaic word meaning "circulate" when applied to vessels - as in the lines: "Then doth she troll to me the bowl / Even as a maltworm should, / And saith 'Sweet heart, I took my part / Of this jolly good ale and old.'" from a drinking song supposedly written by the appropriately named Bishop Still (but in fact of anonymous authorship, and quite an ancient song - almost certainly Elizabethan at least), and set to music by Warlock and Moeran jointly during an afternoon at a pub. It's a jolly good song and Warlock's and Moeran's setting is great fun and a joy to sing.
I must admit that I've been unfair to Sullivan's librettist, Julian Sturgis, because the Drinking Song about trolling the brown bowl is actually by Sir Walter Scott (who should have known better).