News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ropartz' 3rd from Timpani

Started by M. Henriksen, Sunday 26 June 2011, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

My French is very bad, but reading some text at Timpani's homepage it's my impression that they have recorded the 3rd Symphony of Joseph Ropartz in May this year. I seems that a recording project of this symphony with the Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy (the orchestra that have recorded the other 4 Symphonies by Ropartz for Timpani) was cancelled and that a new recording project was led by conductor Jean-Yves Ossonce and another orchestra. I also understand that Timpani will release a 3CD box with the complete symphonies of Ropartz in the near future.

Maybe someone that actually understands French can do a bit of reading and give us a more correct version?

Timpani homepage:
http://www.timpani-records.com/

Morten

eschiss1

My French used to be good but that does sound right just based on my memory even; was wondering what happened to that series. (Haven't heard the other discs in the series yet unfortunately, though I once had a good tape or even two of performances of the 5th symphony as well as the 3rd- managed to lose both of the former, I think, though I think Leonard Slatkin was conducting one of them with the ORTF, and well, too! My favorite Ropartz so far is the offcenter - except for the deep slow movement, I mean - 6th string quartet, in F major... - despite not having heard the Timpani recording and only having heard my own MIDIs, even.)

febnyc

Good news - although the Ropartz Third conducted by Plasson (EMI) is no slouch and probably all one needs to appreciate this glorious work.  It is a mighty paean to nature with the choral parts intricately worked into the thread of the music.

Timpani has done us a service with their wonderful Ropartz series. The six String Quartets are not to be missed.

M. Henriksen

The Ropartz 3rd will be available in October according to a new article on Timpani's webpage.

Morten

M. Henriksen

And here it is, available the 28th of October:

http://www.timpani-records.com/1c1190.php

At first glance, the timings on this record are quite much shorter than the Plasson recording for EMI. The Plasson Finale is 23:15, this one clocks in at 18:36! It will be interesting to compare.
A total duration of 47 minutes is not good value for money in my opinion, surely Ropartz has composed enough works for choir and orchestra to provide an interesting coupling.

Morten

J.Z. Herrenberg

Snippet of the rehearsal/recording can be listened to here:

http://www.timpani-records.com/seance.php

Dundonnell

Timpani are indeed to be commended in recording all the Ropartz symphonies but at 47 minutes long with no couplings I shall stick to the Plasson version.

I notice that Timpani have also just released a recording of Maurice Emmanuel's first two symphonies. Marco Polo released these same two symphonies a good few years ago now. Hopefully Timpani can now turn to recording the Symphonies Nos. 2, 3 and 4 by Paul Le Flem :)