News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanford from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 06 July 2011, 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Vol.3 in Hyperion's RCC series contains music for cello and orchestra by Stanford, including the Concerto in D minor...
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67859

Mark Thomas

The Concerto and the Irish Rhapsody are already available, of course, from Lyrita and Chandos respectively but this is excellent news which, as a great Stanford enthusiast, I really welcome.

albion

Great news! Even better news, judging from the timings, is that Hyperion don't appear to be using Alexander Baillie's incredibly over-indulgent and interminable first-movement cadenza which almost scuppers the Lyrita recording of the Cello Concerto.

Ballata and Ballabile is especially welcome, as is a new recording of the beautiful Irish Rhapsody No.3.

;D

albion

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 06 July 2011, 18:35
Hyperion don't appear to be using Alexander Baillie's incredibly over-indulgent and interminable first-movement cadenza which almost scuppers the Lyrita recording of the Cello Concerto.

Stanford himself did not supply a cadenza in the autograph score. The booklet notes for this exciting release are now viewable on the Hyperion website - interestingly, there is no mention whatsoever of a cadenza in the descriptive notes by Jeremy Dibble or any indication that a new one has been supplied, but the Concerto is performed in a new edition by George Burrows.

JimL

Quote...It features an extended, soulful melody which, at its close, is characterized by some remarkably original scoring for strummed pizzicato strings and sustained high flutes (an idea which was to surface again in the slow movement of his late unpublished Violin Concerto No 2 Op 162).
This passage from the Hyperion liner notes implies that the G minor Violin Concerto does indeed exist in full score.  Any chance of seeing that any time soon?

eschiss1

ooh, I'd been wondering about that very thing (re the opus 162) as all I knew about was the library holding of a manuscript copy of a violin-piano score... thanks!!
(Wouldn't mind hearing, now that an edition of the 2nd piano quartet and a new edition of the cello concerto are out, and this good news about the 2nd violin concerto, the unpublished- and some more of the published- string quartets and quintets too...)

JimL

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 06 July 2011, 18:35
Great news! Even better news, judging from the timings, is that Hyperion don't appear to be using Alexander Baillie's incredibly over-indulgent and interminable first-movement cadenza which almost scuppers the Lyrita recording of the Cello Concerto.
I don't have a problem with the Baillie cadenza.  What troubles me is that he can just barely play it himself!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThis passage from the Hyperion liner notes implies that the G minor Violin Concerto does indeed exist in full score.  Any chance of seeing that any time soon?

Why not drop Hyperion a line, Jim, and ask them? A lot of folks on this forum would be grateful for the answer you might elicit.

JimL

Maybe I'll give it a shot!  Later...

albion

Ballata and Ballabile, Op.160 from this forthcoming disc will be broadcast next Tuesday (27th September) at around 14.35 on Radio 3.

:)

albion

I'm finally getting round to this as the witching hour approaches - what a lovely disc! There is a cadenza in the first movement (which is unattributed - slightly mysterious, as the Lyrita notes indicate that no cadenza survives in Stanford's manuscript, but never mind), but it is mercifully brief and much more in keeping with the tenor of the work that that on the Lyrita disc.

Fine performances of the other works round out a very significant entry in the RCC series - Irish Rhapsody No.3 is just simply gorgeous: anybody coming to it 'fresh' (i.e. without having heard the Handley recording on Chandos) will (I hope) be bowled over.

;D

Alan Howe

Nice stuff, not earth-shattering, but worth purchasing if you like this attractive, but derivative music. It's certainly on my list...

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 15 October 2011, 09:34worth purchasing if you like this attractive, but derivative music.

Lovely, I can't get enough of it!

;D

Dundonnell

Just in case you think that all I like are grim, 20th Century orchestral works ;D...

one of the British compositions I shall be uploading in the programme hopefully commencing next week will be Stanford's Choral Ballad "Phaudrig Crohoore"(1895) :)