An Unsung British/Scottish ? composer - Robert Bruce Symphony in B flat

Started by Marcus, Thursday 04 February 2010, 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

A few years ago, I read about a Symphony in B flat (1953-57)by Robert Bruce . I tried to obtain a copy of the limited edition CD without success, finally writing to the composer. He was kind enough to send me his "last copy"with a short note, (August 2008),saying that he had not written much in the past ten years & was slowing down. I am not surprised, as he was born in 1915.
It is a very well written four movement work, in a neo classical style, which I find hard to pinpoint. But it wouldn't be out place in the early 20th century, even the late 19th. The first movement,Prelude-moderato, is probably the best movement which promises much. The second movement, Scherzo is followed by Largo ma con moto, followed by the Finale.
Mr Bruce handles his material well, but the abrupt , quiet ending of the Symphony is not satisfactory for  me.When I first heard it, I was expecting a fifth movement. I haven't been able to find much information about Robert Bruce, but hopefully, some of the English contributors to this forum can fill in for me. I would certainly like to hear his other works. His Symphony should be better known.
Marcus.

Alan Howe

chill319

With your exceptionally broad knowledge, I imagine, Marcus, that you know Harold Shapero's Symphony for Classical Orchestra. If so, how would you compare Bruce's neoclassicism to Shapero's?

Marcus

Thanks Chill319, but my knowledge is just not that broad. I have been learning quite alot through this forum - I would rather be known as "an enthusiastic amateur continually searching for the elusive masterpiece"
Re the Shapero Symphony -  although similar in style to the Bruce Symphony, both neo-classic works,they both have their own distinctive voice,even though there are similarities to other composers. . The Shapero Symphony reminds me in places, of early  Stravinsky ,or a young Copland, and even Prokofiev, The fact that it runs for nearly 45 minutes is also unusual in American symphonies. I am glad Shapero wrote this work before discovering the synthesizer & tape. It is the only work of his I know. I would love to hear his Piano Sonata in F minor.
Shapero v Bruce ? I think the Shapero would win.
My favourite American composers, not counting the ealrier ones, (Paine,Chadwick), are Hanson,  Harris,& Schuman. A CD recently purchased is the  Symphonies 2&3 of David Ott (b1947). In the  Symphony no2, he gives the cello a prominent role, (particularly in the 1st & final movements),and it was written as a tribute to a cellist colleague, Robert Madura, who had died a few years earlier. As you would expect, it is a sombre work, but with alot of contemplative music & a rousing finale.Ott has also written a Concerto for Two cellos..
Another Symphony worth pursuing is that of Irving Fine (1914-1962). Although he uses 12 tone material, he uses it in a unique way, and it rewards frequent listening. But for me , most 12 tone & serial music is too complex . I do not wish to have to think too hard when I am listening to music. I make an exception for Fine.

jecurb

My father is alive and well.  I travelled with him to Czestekova for the recording of the symphony.

I still have some copies.

Marcus

Hello jecurb,
Welcome to the forum.
I was pleased to hear that Robert Bruce  is still keeping well. I just hope that  some enterprising label  will take up the cause to enable us to hear more of his music. Having heard just one work of his, I consider he is definately worthy of  "unsung"status.
Cheers!
Marcus.

gentile

Hello Jecurb,
I am also happy to hear that your father is in good health. Please convey to him the admiration of mine and of a group of music-lover friends. We meet weekly to hear music from little-known composers and I can remember our excitement a few years ago when came across the recording of his symphony and heard it in a session. We immediately agreed on Robert Bruce as a worthy exponent of this great generation of British symphonists born at the beginning of the 20th century (including Walton, Alwyn, Frankel, Searle, Bernard Stevens and Arnell among others). I join Marcus in the hope and wish for new recordings of his music.

Enharmonic

It's just over a year since the last post on this topic. I also hope that Mr Bruce Snr. is still keeping well.

Readers may be interested to see a picture of him in his RAF days along with Russ Bannock, the symphony's dedicatee.
http://www.acesofww2.com/Canada/aces/bannock.htm

Regards,
Enharmonic

Christopher

Quote from: jecurb on Wednesday 24 March 2010, 22:36
My father is alive and well.  I travelled with him to Czestekova for the recording of the symphony.

I still have some copies.

Hello Jecurb!  Would you still have some copies of your father's symphony?   I would very much like to order a copy!

Christopher