News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Julius Weismann

Started by eschiss1, Friday 08 July 2011, 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

probably not recent enough for any of these to be recent recordings- has anyone heard the (alone fairly recent) cpo recording of Weismann quartets arr. for string orchestra, the MDG CD (2002) of Weismann songs, or the CD (also on MDG, 1998) of Weismann piano works? Any opinions on this or other music by him? I like the little I've seen in score, I seem to recall.  (By way of recordings of his music I see there's also been one on Signum in 2001, and some on LP also, including his opus 118 Horn Concertino included in at least one LP and CD of horn concertante works.)

jerfilm

I am a Weismann fan.  I have taped performances of Piano Concertos 1,2,3 and also Symphonys 2,3.  I have no idea if these were ever issued as commercial recordings, although I suspect they were not.

According to the 1950 Grove, there are 6 symphonies altoether, 3 violin concertos ( I believe that Tobias has performances of all 3), at least 4 piano trios,  3 cello sonatas, 2 violin sonatas and a cello concerto.  Any of which I would dearly love to find a performance of. 

Jerry

britishcomposer

So am I! Intrigued to hear that you have recordings of the PCs! Wherefrom did you get them and when? I scan the German radio programs for about 20 year and so far I have not found any broadcast. Please, jerfilm, would you be so kind to give more information about the works you have? (Opus numbers, exact titles: there are some sinfoniettas, sinfonias and regular symphonies - quite confusing!)

I have just uploaded the 2. Violin Concerto op.98, Sinfonietta severa op. 111 and Sinfonia brevis op. 116. All are works from his mature years. He started quite romantic, later showed impressionistic influences and came very near to a Hindemith-like expressionism, though always romantically mellowed. I will add some earlier works later if you like.

A few years ago I played through his opera 'Gespenstersonate' after Strindberg, an expressionistic masterwork though nearer to late Schreker or Reznicek than Strauss. Must be performed to my mind!!!

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 08 July 2011, 17:03

I have just uploaded the 2. Violin Concerto op.98, Sinfonietta severa op. 111 and Sinfonia brevis op. 116. All are works from his mature years. He started quite romantic, later showed impressionistic influences and came very near to a Hindemith-like expressionism, though always romantically mellowed. I will add some earlier works later if you like.

Being a sucker for a mellow violin concerto, I thought I'd give this a whirl and I'm very glad I did.  It's only a pity that the concerto, like op 116, is 'brevis' - it could have been twice as long and not outstayed its welcome.  The material in all three pieces seems to me most attractive and worked out with great craftsmanship.  Thanks very much for uploading these and yes, please do add some more.  Like Jerry I am a Weismann fan now as well. 

britishcomposer

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

I know it may sound eccentric but to my mind Weismann is the most important late romantic German (unsung) composer. With probably one exception: Richard Wetz.

Lionel, enjoy the 1. VC – it's twice as long as the 2nd. ;)

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 08 July 2011, 20:37
Thanks for your enthusiasm!

I know it may sound eccentric but to my mind Weismann is the most important late romantic German (unsung) composer. With probably one exception: Richard Wetz.

Lionel, enjoy the 1. VC – it's twice as long as the 2nd. ;)

Oooh thanks!  You are going to think I'm making this up but honestly, the Wetz B Minor VC came into my mind as I was listening to the Weismann VC2.   

jerfilm

Many, many thanks BritishComposer for all of these delicious uploads.

To answer your questions,  we are summering at our summer cabin in Estes Park, Colorado about a thousand miles from home and while I have my database of music here, I don't include performance data - I have to go back to the original tapes to get that.

Now if you would like uploads of any of this, if one of you fellows will remind me in October I will gladly get them digitized and uploaded.  I have the first piano concerto done but don't have it on the computer here either.

Here's what the database sez (and not being a very studious researcher, if there are errors in this information feel free to correct them- I guess I didn't have to say that - this group seldom let's one get by 'em.......)  And there is a strange anomaly on PC #3

Piano Concerto #1 in Bb, opus 33
Piano Concerto #2
Piano Concerto #3 in a, opus 138
Piano Concerto #3 opus 141 (1942-8}  Never have compared these 2 recordings - sorry
Suite for piano and orchestra opus 87
Symphony #2 in D
Symphony #3 in Bb

Hope this helps some and whets appetites....

Jerry  :)

britishcomposer

I have here with me some photocopies of a publication by the Julius Weismann Gesellschaft. (Sorry, cannot give more details.)

Works for piano and orchestra:

op.33   - PC, Bb major (Sibelius listened to that and thought Weismann would plagiarize him! ;))
op.97   - Suite for piano and orch.
op.138 - PC, a minor
op.141 - Concerto for piano, strings and timpani, d minor

Symphonies:

op.19   - Symphony, b minor
op.110 - Sinfonietta giocosa (may upload that later)
op.111 - Sinfonietta severa, f minor
op.116 - Sinfonia brevis
op.130 - Symphony, Bb major
op.131 - Symphony, b minor

Quite confusing, isn't it? ;)

Yes, please, I implore you: do upload everything you have!!! We will then try to find out what is what. ;) - But first enjoy your holidays! :D

eschiss1

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 08 July 2011, 20:37
I know it may sound eccentric but to my mind Weismann is the most important late romantic German (unsung) composer.

Wetz and Weismann have been recorded somewhat more than Ewald Straesser, my own recent nomination (ever? at all? not commercially, apparently? but I may be mistaken), but then we get into the definition of "important".

britishcomposer

Yes, Eric, you are right: Straesser's orchestral works have only been produced for broadcast purposes and now slumber in the archives of the WDR. The same applies to Weismann. Strange policy. Straesser is certainly fine but in my humble opinion Weismann is quite another category. It has taken cpo ages to discover Weismann - have a bit patience, maybe Straesser is the next... ;)

fyrexia

Jerry. Would you be kind enough to expose to us the weismann piano concerto No.3?
I have been lookoing for no.3 also like a crazy guy. I would appreciate it very much.

My versions of pc no.1 and 2 are interrible conditions, with passages unhearable.
But i am still trying to find through some friends for better quality recording of the 1st and second.

All best,

TOny

britishcomposer

Tony, where did you get Nos. 1 and 2? I am just curious about the source: have they been recorded?!

Alan Howe

Am I alone in finding much of Weismann's music indigestibly over-ripe...?

Mark Thomas

No you're not. I'm afraid that, having sampled a number of the symphonies over the years, I can't join the paean of praise, either. I find most of his music rather self-indulgent and meandering, although it does have the merit of brevity. But it wouldn't do for us all to be the same...

britishcomposer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 10 July 2011, 09:39
Am I alone in finding much of Weismann's music indigestibly over-ripe...?

Obviously not, else he weren't among the unsung! ;)

He definitely has his own voice I think - which I appreciate. I was about 16 years old when I discovered him, the Sinfonietta giocosa, Fantastischer Reigen for StrQ, Horn Concerto, and he has remained my favourite German (unsung) composer since. I won't claim that he was a genius. Sometimes there is more workmanship than inspiration but even when he starts to meander he does it in a very personal way. ;)

Among his (artistic) failures I would rate the opera 'Die pfiffige Magd' (1938), one of the most successful operas during the Third Reich: some sort of rococo-pastiche of the worst kind I ever heard.