News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rheinberger’s Piano Music

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 09 July 2011, 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

In another topic Rheinberger's gorgeous piano sonatas opp. 47, 99 & 135 played by Pompa-Baldi on Centaur were praised highly.
More piano music (all of Rheinberger's solo piano output?) will be released soon in a 10 CD Box, see here

Alan Howe

Jonathan

I ordered this as soon as I saw the link above!  Will let you all know what I think when it arrives...

edurban

As that rave review was written by the excellent and all-knowing Jed Distler, I will order this post-haste!  Thanks to all, not sure how I missed this...

David

Alan Howe

Jonathan

Well, the Rheinberger arrived in the post this morning.  It is the complete piano music (including the WoO works) and also includes some (?all) of the duets.  I have some serious listening to do now!

Peter1953

What a wonderful collection the complete music for piano, including for four hands, is. I'm really impressed by the great variety. Sonatas, Toccatas, Studies, Studies for the left hand only, Character pieces, Fantasies, and a lot more. All these works demonstrate Rheinberger's fine craftman-ship and above all that he was an all-round composer. It's not fair to remember him only as a composer of organ and religious works. Impressive is his output of all kinds of chamber music, his orchestral works (who doesn't like his PC?) and his lovely piano works. What a fine composer Rheinberger was.

This 10 CD box set is a collection of former releases of his piano music, recorded between 1990 and 2004, played by Jürg Hanselmann together with his wife Sandra Hanselman-Kästli. For those who like Romantic piano music, this set is warmly recommended.

JimL

There are a couple of members who are less than impressed by the PC.  I adore it, myself.

Alan Howe

I too think the PC is a work of real stature - memorable and beautifully written for both piano and orchestra...

Mark Thomas

Yes, this lovely, memorable work has been a  favourite of mine since I bought Adrian Ruiz's performance on an old Genesis LP way back in the early 1970s. I honestly can't imagine why anybody would be unimpressed with it, Jim.

JimL

I can't even remember who it was.  I don't think he (or they) are around anymore.  I seem to recall he thought it bland, and the virtuosity spliced in rather than integral to the music.  I strongly disagree with both positions.  Like I said, it was long ago, but I am pretty sure it's somewhere in this forum, not the old one.  I doubt I could find the thread.

BTW, I speaking of the Genesis label, I just broke out that CD yesterday.  I only listened to the Sgambati PC the Rheinberger is coupled with, though.  I should give the Rheinberger another listen soon.

edurban

Mayhap it was me?  But given my general love of Rheinberger (where is the old Columbia recording of the organ concertos with E. Power Biggs?) I have been itching to give the pf concerto another try.  I have a lonnnnng-overdue order for the Genesis disc out there somewhere.  I can't imagine why it's so hard to get...

It will not do to breed reptiles of the mind!

David

JimL

Could have been.  If it was Thal, well, he ain't 'round no more to bandy it around.  I think it might have been one of the resident pianists.  IIRC, the subject got onto the Lalo PC, and I stated my objections to that particular work, particularly that the virtuosity of the piano part was rather clunky and seemed to be spliced into musical phrases for the most part, and not integral to the musical ideas.  His retort was that the same thing could be said of the Rheinberger PC, which, IMNSHO, is just waaaaay out in left field.

eschiss1

out in left field - imho has always seemed better 'translated' as in my honest opinion and one really wants to keep the acronym brief in that case...  ;D

JimL

I always thought IMHO stood for "In my HUMBLE opinion", since by definition an opinion is honest.  IMNSHO in that context stood for "In my NOT so humble opinion", since that opinion wasn't very humble.  IMHO.   ;)