News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

William Becker ???

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 31 August 2010, 17:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Thank you. I did ask someone at LoC , if I remember my probably characteristically muddled query, to consider modifying LoC Authorities or something at viaf.org (OCLC's Linked Authority Files) to reflect this, too, but so far, no dice, no joy, etc. Will do soon, then!

Actually, soon is now, though have only uploaded one item so far... (ok, six.)

David Knapp

I just happened across your query.  Earl Kelly, the soloist in the concerto, was one of two or three top piano teachers in Akron, Ohio.  I took piano and private theory lessons with him in high school.  He was a longtime piano student of William Becker and went to Cleveland for lessons with him and with Becker's teaching assistant, a woman named Hazel Hart.  I can't tell you anything about Becker as composer but Kelly told me that Becker was a celebrated piano student of Xaver Scharwenka and that Scharwenka treated him to a champagne supper after Becker's European debut recital.  Legends, legends ...

Alan Howe

Welcome to the forum, David.

giles.enders

Much of the information I have logged about Becker was from a pupil of Becker, this man also has memories of Kelly.

Gareth Vaughan

Are we any nearer discovering the whereabouts of the Full Score of Becker's PC or, indeed, the rest of his musical output?

giles.enders

If David Knapp would like to email me, I might be able to put him in touch with possibly Beckers last pupil who is resident in Cleveland, Ohio.

There must be a full score and parts of the piano concerto in Cleveland as earlier in the year I was informed of a performance this Autumn.