Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Did someone manage to catch/record the new broadcast of Gardelli conducting Einem's Philadelphia Symphony on June 3rd on BR-Klassik? I think the recording we do have uploaded of this work has appeared on CD.

eschiss1

Unfortunately for Johann N David the only symphonies for which I have "tracking" so far I think are nos. 5 (the Adagio; Adagio ; Scherzo; Alla breve that I had from somewhere or other now filled out with as Adagio-Allegro at the beginning which makes more sense - yes, I understand, Adagio is the slow introduction to the first movement...) and no.6 (Allegro ; Adagio ; Wiener-Walzer ; Rondo: Allegro (with Triple Fugue) ).  Again, once I am less lazy will take a bus to the library and go through the miniscore of no.8 and take some quick notes- likewise for nos. 1 and 2 just in case anyone decides to post those :)  (the university only has, I think, his symphonies 1, 2, 6 and 8, not the other 4.)

eschiss1

Hrm. Sorry about all the posts.
More on Hermann Pius Vergeiner / Pius Hermann Vergeiner (?):
student of Bruckner;
the article (sorry, edit, not-a-book :) )
Der Brucknerschüler Hermann Pius Vergeiner 1859-1900 : ein Beitrag zur Musikgeschichte Oberösterreichs im 19. Jahrhundert
by Wilhelm Jerger, published by OÖ Landesverlag of Linz in 1976, hopefully has more information...
Worldcat only lists a few libraries with this (well, actually, they have a few entries- I'll check the others), but hopefully someone may find it and can fill in some info. Will try to find out a bit more.

This article on Vergeiner (some of whose music was uploaded here, and about whom so little information seems otherwise available?- that's why this comment) was published in Österreichische Heimatblätter, 30.Jg., Heft 3/4.

Hopefully legally (I think by the magazine itself) the whole PDF of the article (pp 145-173) has been uploaded here biography (German). (hrm! some days I love the internet.)

semloh

Sydney Grew - thank you for the Frühling pianoforte quintet - I've greatly enjoyed listening to it this morning, before breakfast!  A great way to start the day. :)

Just one question. I am always typing "Australian"when I mean Australi ..... there! done it again!  ;D Is this from an Australian radio broadcast, or should it be Austrian?

Rainolf

Some weeks ago I visited a concert in Weimar, where Frühling's Quintet was performed by the Klenke Quartet (a well known ensemble here, they had recorded Goldmark's String Quartet) and Jonathan Aner, piano. But unfortunatly it seemed that there was no recording of this piece available. Many thanks to Sydney Grew for providing this attractive, tuneful work!

JimL

Is there a chance you kept the program as a souvenir and can provide the tempos for the scherzo and finale movements?

eschiss1

http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/fruhling-piano-quintet-Op.30.htm

"The last movement, though simply marked Finale, ..."
I'm not seeing much hope of the latter.

Also, check the (first edition, I think - Leuckart, plate 4677 on the score, and published 1894 acc. to HMB) score and parts at IMSLP (NOTA BENE: not an invitation to a broader argument.)

Hrm. Whoops. I'm thinking Mr. Silvertrust missed that... :)
Ok:
Scherzo: Allegretto grazioso.
Finale: Allegro vivace.
And there y'have it...

eschiss1

The first movement's not quite right either, I think- it should be Allegro molto agitato ed appassionato, according to the first edition score and parts (they may not have been playing from the first edition; whether the composer himself made the changes though I don't know).  But that's an ordering thing... and a question of what the "molto" applies to!
In fact it sounds like they were playing from the Silvertrust parts (that sounds exactly like his description of the movement titles, not the first edition; the differences are the same). I'm guessing his parts were prepared for their performance- which sort of symbiosis is a happy and common occurrence - but that's just a guess on my part. It would explain where the soundbites on the page come from (although the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players (in New York City) -also- took up the Frühling Quintet for their concerts  (2010 December 12)- one of which I attended to great joy recently (this year) - in the last few years, and they could also have provided a recording of their performance for his use in this connection for all I know.)

oleander55

The original of the Rubin 2nd Symphony has rapid drop-outs for a minute or two in the right channel that make it nearly unlistenable (believe me!).  So I replaced that section with a mono section using the left channel only, reverting to stereo when the right channel recovers its consistancy.

One of my favorite Rubin symphonies!  Spunky!

eschiss1

Weigl piano left-hand concerto: Patterson (One Handed: A Guide to Piano Music for One Hand, page 222) gives the movements, based on the two-piano reduction, as Allegro  ; Adagio ; Rondo: Allegro . (Caveat: Arrangements sometimes have different movement descriptions from those of the original work, even when, as with eg Gouvy's 2nd symphony, they're made by their composers - don't know if that's true here anyway.)

Sydney Grew

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 21:39. . . Just one question. . . . Is this from an Australian radio broadcast, or should it be Austrian?

Definitely the former this time - my Sydney period. The A.B.C. might have records somewhere of the performers. It is indeed a beautiful work. I see Frühling wrote many waltzes, lost his money in the inflation following the war, and spent his remaining years in straitened circumstances . . .

eschiss1

BTW the Weigl piano concerto does seem to be Allegro/Adagio/Rondo after all (my doubts about changes in the reduction notwithstanding :D ) - the Fleisher Collection has the full-score  manuscript (144 pages) and their online catalog confirms this. They're a good first stop for such things (not that they have everything one looks for of course (erm... of course... ) but they often - not always - have instrumentation and movement listings for the material in the Fleisher (no c) collection and some material outside of it. basically here.)

semloh

Quote from: Sydney Grew on Saturday 23 June 2012, 01:25
Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 20 June 2012, 21:39. . . Just one question. . . . Is this from an Australian radio broadcast, or should it be Austrian?

Definitely the former this time .............

Many thanks for clarifying that, Sydney. It's nice to have members with Australian connections.  :)

eschiss1

How many symphonies did Marcel Rubin write? I thought, for some reason, 8, but the New York Public Library catalog lists the score of a 10th, "Hommage à Chartres". (Now that I see, Wikipedia says ten.) NYPL also lists concertos, other works and a second string quartet published 1982 (in score alas, not a recording- well, if someone has the parts, I'm sure someone can get the rights to record it at some point.) Meanwhile, thanks for all the uploads!

eschiss1

I think HMB doesn't list the Kralik as being published until 1897, so if it was composed 17 years earlier, that's yet another reason (and a relatively minor one) for people to be careful (not that many will be) about using publication dates where composition dates are meant (and specifically requested, e.g. the "Composition Date" field of a IMSLP workpage...) looking forward to hearing what promises to be an interesting and even good work.