German-Austrian light symphonic music

Started by alberto, Sunday 31 July 2011, 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

I am the least titled to write about. But I understand that Germany (mostly) and Austria cultivated in XX century a realm of light symphonic music. I own just a few records and may quote the following names.
Eduard Kunnecke (German, 1885-1983) conducting his music on LP Telefunken 6.41906. Interesting for me the "Concerto Grosso in 5 movements for jazz-band and large orchestra" , recorded in 1938 with the Berliner P.O. (!). The remaining on the record are "pastiches" like "A biedermeier suite".(E.K. was also an opera composer and the first conductor ever to record a Haydn Symphony, n.94).
Fine also for me Nico Dostal (Austrian, 1895-1981), an operettta, songs and movie music composer.
A 1979 recording by Nico Dostal and the Berliner P.O. was re-released by CPO in 2002. Fine " Froelische spiel" and "Wiener Erinnerung". The CPO CD (shortly quoted by "Pengelli" in another thread) is -I suppose- the only CPO with the Berliner P.O.
Less impressive Ulrich Sommerlatte (German, 1914-2002). U.S. "Light symphonic music" on deceased Koch Schwann 3-1319-2.Fine at least the gershwinian "Metropolis". Sometimes the remaining a little coarse.
Last for me the Germans Ernst Fischer (1906-1975, suite "South of the Alpes") and Hans Bund (1898-1982, " Erinnerung an ein Ballerlebnis) both present on an old EMI Lp (the works have been recorded again in the CD era).
I am sure some friend in the forum will know much more and I hope some one will write. 

britishcomposer

You forgot to mention Georg Haentzschel (1907-1992), mostly known by his film scores, and Wal-Berg, of whom it is rather difficult to learn something! According to one source his real name was Walter Bergmann, according to another Vladimir Rosenberg (1910-1994). Two of my favourites if I may say so without blushing.  ;)