Forthcoming recordings of violin concertos

Started by peter_conole, Wednesday 29 April 2009, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_conole

Hi all

Glad tidings for romantic violin concerto lovers. Both concertos by the early romantic Norwegian maestro Ole Bull have been recorded. They are no 1 in A (1834) and no 2 in e (1841). They are available in disc form or as downloads. Let's hear it for the bold folk of 2L musikonline.

regards
Peter

JimL

Where can we obtain them in disc form?  Also, weren't there 4 Bull concertos?  Or have I confused him with someone else?

Mark Thomas

As you'd expect, they are highly virtuosic, but do have worthwhile orchestral parts and boast what promises to be memorable melodic material. As one might also expect from a virtuoso-turned-composer of his era, there is more than a whiff of the opera about them; they're both very melodramatic. I downloaded the tracks, rather than buy the CD, but to me the recording is good and the performers certainly seem well up to the music's demands. Brahms (or even Joachim) they're not, but I'm pleased to have these two concertos.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Yes, definitely. It's pretty Mendelssohnian, but also very attractive - though not on a par with, say, Gade's VC. Try the first three excerpts here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Emil-Hartmann-Violinkonzert-op-19/hnum/4707846

Mark Thomas

Emil Hartmann, unlike his august father, was definetly a second-rater, but the Violin Concerto, like most of his music, is divertinglylyrical. It's well orchestrated in the beefed-up Mendelssohn style typical of such composers.

Alan Howe

Mark is absolutely right. Emil is in division 2 of the unsungs; his father, JPE, is definitely in division 1. Try his wonderful two symphonies if you don't know them.

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 17 July 2010, 22:09
Mark is absolutely right. Emil is in division 2 of the unsungs; his father, JPE, is definitely in division 1. Try his wonderful two symphonies if you don't know them.
From an LP of JPE Hartmann's G minor that I heard a few times (I haven't heard the more recent recording of both of them) I can "third" that- excellent. (Score also published I think in that really big series of classical and Romantic series produced by what was then Garland Publishing.)

Alan Howe

I understand that the Hyperion recordings of VCs by Cliffe and d'Erlanger will be released in February 2011.

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Very lovely.  Can hardly wait for the release.

Here's some ideas to hear:  Violin Concertos by:
William Orchard
Cornelius Rybner
Friedrich Hegar
Julius Roentgen
August Adelburg (more than 1?)
Nicolo d'Arienso in a
John Alden Carpenter
Conrado Campo
August Pott  1,2
John Powell in E
Emile Sauret in g, in e
Camilio Sivori 1,2
Julius Weismann 1,2
Georg Jacobi 1,2
Hubert Leonard 1,2,3
Heinrich Noren in a

To name just a few.

So help me, these were all gleaned from 1956 Grove; sadly over half of which cannot be found in later editions.  I have a monster want list of works that I spent many hours "finding" in that edition......

Alan Howe

Please can we keep this thread to the topic of forthcoming recordings - not wishlists!

violinconcerto

Quote from: jerfilm on Friday 22 October 2010, 16:21
Here's some ideas to hear:  Violin Concertos by:
(..)
Julius Roentgen
(..)
August Pott  1
J(..)
Julius Weismann 1,2
(..)
To name just a few.

So help me, these were all gleaned from 1956 Grove; sadly over half of which cannot be found in later editions.  I have a monster want list of works that I spent many hours "finding" in that edition......

Recordings of all these works exist!

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de