News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Karl Klindworth and Franz Hünten

Started by kolaboy, Wednesday 10 August 2011, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Has there ever been a comprehensive list compiled of the original compositions of either Karl Kilndworth, or Franz Hünten? At least Hünten rated an entire side of an album (paired with Herz) back in the 1970s. Granted, those examples of Hünten's work did not leave me longing for more, but it would be nice to know for curiosity's sake if he ventured very far beyond the solo keyboard.

Klindworth has always been a bit of a mystery. It's frequently mentioned that (among his other distinguishing attributes) he was a composer, but very few examples of his creative work have been put forth...

Mark Thomas

I'll admit that I haven't checked through Hofmeister, or indeed any other reference, this morning but weren't Klindworth's compositions mainly piano arrangements of the works of others, most importantly Wagner?

kolaboy

Yes, I imagine the majority of Klindworth's compositions are arrangements, but It's the ones that are not that I'd love to learn more about...

jimmattt

I haven't heard of any original stuff, either, but I have really enjoyed his orchestration of Alkan's Concerto for solo piano on Naxos.

eschiss1

There's almost definitely? some- HMB lists a Fantaisie-Polonaise published in 1869 by Schott in Mainz (the British Library has this), and a Concert-Polonaise in D in 1899 that may be the same work revised, published by Breitkopf.
There's also listed in HMB (1897, page 438) a "24 Uebungsstücke in allen Dur- u. Moll-Tonarten zur Ausbildung der Kunstfertigkeit im Klavierspiel." but it goes on to say this is related to something by Bertini- it may be a response to a Bertini composition and in itself still original work by Klindworth, however. That's just from a cursory glance at works that show up from a simple search from 1860 to 1900, and published works at that.

Also: "May Day", a song by "Carl Klindworth" with words by Bishop Heber published by Schott around 1868. As to original works by Hünten, may depend on the threshold of originality, if I'm not being dense - let me check :) it's true that the works I've seen and in one case so far uploaded to IMSLP by him are generally closely based on those of others but I think they're more fantasias than exact transcriptions- not positive though.

eschiss1

anyway, you wanted a comprehensive list- still working on "comprehensiveish-in-progress" lists of some other composers (over on IMSLP mainly) but one can add Hünten to the queue of course...

kolaboy

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 11 August 2011, 03:41
anyway, you wanted a comprehensive list- still working on "comprehensiveish-in-progress" lists of some other composers (over on IMSLP mainly) but one can add Hünten to the queue of course...

Thank you :)

I'm just so used to going to Grove and the like to find out the answer to some nagging question and it's quite irritating when the supposedly definitive sources offer you hints, at best.
I harbor a dream (based on absolutely no evidence at all) that there may be a Klindworth concerto moldering away in some attic in Stolpe...