News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Georgy Catoire 1861-1926

Started by giles.enders, Monday 15 August 2011, 10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Better yet - invite him on the board!  He probably won't have time to post much, but he could learn a lot about potential repertoire!

Taneyev

It seems that you guys only want piano concertos and/or symphonic works. What about chamber? We're discussing Catoire, and nobody mentioned his violin sonatas, his string quartets or his piano trio. I've v.s. 1 and 2, SQ op.23, Elegy for violin and piano and piano trio op.14. Am I the only chamber fanatic here?

JimL

No.  Far from it.  But there seems to be a project with the PC, so that's what we're talking right now.  And that's what Mr. Takenouchi asked for.

fyrexia

Quote from: Christopher on Tuesday 16 August 2011, 14:45
Quote from: fyrexia on Tuesday 16 August 2011, 14:42
Oh, please do tell him to record the L.Afanasyev and V.Agafonnikov Piano Concertos !
Kosenko pc would be a treat to listen !

Tony

Can you give some more info about these?  Dates, etc?  What other works have already been recorded by them?

L.Afanasyev has a Violin Concerto recorded on lp. His piano concerto, only has 1 movement recorded, and thus.. with many cut outs. And its from a film ... so all you hear is talking in between.
Agafonnikov has an opera recorded called anna segnina or something like that. I believe some of his organ works appeared on a cd with many other organ works by several other composers, and a trumpet sonata has been recently published.
AS for Kosenko, i believe you know him quite well. 3 sonata recorded recently, violin sonatas from lp and a violin concerto has also been recorded.
As i know of the piano concerto, is that was performed with the polish radio orchestra..somehow date unknown.

Tony

eschiss1

Taneyev- far from it... (my wishlist requests for scores on IMSLP are 99.44% string chamber music...)

Christopher

Hi Tony Fyrexia - actually I had never heard of Kosenko until you mentioned him here.  Do you have any more information about the Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto recordings which you mention here? Amazon.co.uk only lists CDs with his works for solo piano.

Alan Howe

fyrexia

the performers are unknown in my recording of Kosenko Violin Concerto.
The polish radio supposedly made a recording of the PC featuring Budniczka/Ukrainian SO /Nathan Rakhlin.
Yet i have not encountered it.

Tony

eschiss1

Hrm. Well, as to the Kosenko violin concerto, it could be the 1980 Melodiya LP listed in van Rijen's page, though you're right, it isn't necessarily.

giles.enders

The label the Catoire is on is Dutton.  The CD should be out early next year. There are a number of unrecorded Russian pre 1918 works for piano and orchestra. Koreshchenko  1870-1921 Fantasy for piano and orchestra 1894, Ivan Krizhanovsky 1867-1924 piano concerto, Vasily Wrangell Fantasy 1893, Boris Assafiev 1884-1949 piano concerto, Vladimir Pukhalsky 1848-1933 piano concerto.

There is also the first Sherwood piano concerto yet to be recorded !

Hiro Takenouchi does at times play in a piano quartet so I am sure would be open to recording suggestions

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere is also the first Sherwood piano concerto yet to be recorded !

Does this mean you know that it is the 2nd Percy Sherwood PC which Mr Takenouchi has recorded?

Christopher

Quote from: giles.enders on Thursday 18 August 2011, 12:04
The label the Catoire is on is Dutton.  The CD should be out early next year. There are a number of unrecorded Russian pre 1918 works for piano and orchestra. Koreshchenko  1870-1921 Fantasy for piano and orchestra 1894, Ivan Krizhanovsky 1867-1924 piano concerto, Vasily Wrangell Fantasy 1893, Boris Assafiev 1884-1949 piano concerto, Vladimir Pukhalsky 1848-1933 piano concerto.

Giles - do you have any further biographical info or reference links on these composers?  I have never heard of Krizhanovsky, Wrangell or Pukhalsky.   Even if just a wikipedia link?!  I found an LP of Asafiev's Flames of Paris and Fountain of Bakhchiserai at the weekend, and will digitalise in due course.   And I mentioned the Koreshchenko Fantasy to Mr. Takenouchi already.

Christopher

I just went into the Russian version of Wikipedia (I know, I know, not the most authoritative sourse...) and looked at the page for the Belyayev Circle, which listed (some of) its composer-members (Fedor Akimenko, Nikolai Amani, Konstantin Antipov, Felix Blumenfeld, Sigismund Blumenfeld, Iosif Vitol, Alexandr Glazunov, Vasiliy Zolotaryov, Ivan Kryzhanovsky, Anatoli Liadov, Vitold Malishevsky, Nikolai Sokolov, Nikolai Tcherepnin, and Alexander Winkler).  I then clicked on the link for each of these (although not all of them had an active link).  This yielded up one further piano concerto:

Witold Maliszewski (1873-1939)
•   Concerto in B♭ minor for piano and orchestra, Op. 29 (1938)

Maliszewski is described as Russian-Polish, and the rector and founder of the Odessa Conservatory (a beautiful city I had the pleasure of studying in for a year and which gave the world, among others, David and Igor Oistrakh, Sviatoslav Richter, Shura Cherkassy, and Emil Gilels, not to mention Anna Akhmatova....I digress!).  Anyone know anything else about Maliszewski?

eschiss1

quite a few works by him up at Sibley/Rochester and from there at IMSLP- 3 string quartets opp.2, 6, 15, symphonies (opp. 8, 12, 14, ? and ? - these two poss. w/o op.?), a 2-cello quintet, violin sonata, 1 piano work. Not the piano concerto in any form, yet (but then it was written and first published after 1922- 1938 and 1939 written and published respectively- and so if it was published with a valid copyright marker it wouldn't be PD-US anyway). I like the scores I've seen but haven't heard anything yet. En-Wikipedia also has an article with a brief worklist (5 symphonies, 2 choral works from 1930, the works above).  also, wrote a fantasy for piano and orchestra (1928). Teacher of Lutoslawski.

Christopher

According to the database of works for piano-and-orchestra published by member pianoconcerto (http://www.siue.edu/~aho/discography/Discography.pdf) Maliszewski's concerto has been recorded, as has another piece "Kujavian Fantasy, Op. 25 (1928)".

Eschiss1 - what is Sibley/Rochester?  You and others have mentioned it a few times here and elsewhere, but I'm afraid I don't know what it is....