News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ben-Haim from cpo

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 25 July 2011, 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

cpo have announced new releases for August, among them Symphony no.1 ++ by Israeli composer Paul Ben-Haim. I've read  that his music is composed in the late-romantic vein. Can other members tell me (or us) what to expect!?

Short biography: http://www.bookrags.com/biography/paul-ben-haim/

The upcoming record: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Paul-Ben-Haim-1897-1984-Symphonie-Nr-1/hnum/4684010

Morten

Alan Howe

Yes, I had been wondering about this release also. Anybody know Ben-Haim's music?

alberto

I have...somewhere a CD (still CBS, not yet Sony) with Zubin Mehta and the joint BPO and Israel Phil. , containing a movement titled "Psalm" from Paul Ben-Haim (born Frankerburger) Symphony n.1 (it was coupled with Beethoven and Ravel in a "celebration" concert). I remember worthy music , like a slightly updated Bloch.
By the way he was a pupil of Friedrich Klose (another CPO discover). There is (or was) surely some other recordings; one certainly by Bernstein and NY.

fyrexia

Israeli piano concertos are some really outstanding works. Ben haim pc, has that stunning romanticisicsm with use of modern technique. And the second movement, a very lyrical "middle east" (dont know the proper word to express it) theme.
Like his contemporaries, mark lavry and ron weidberg, both wrote fascinating concertos.

I have yet to hear his second symphony though...

Tony

eschiss1

a violin concerto of his has been available in a couple of recordings for awhile... Perlman's, Heifetz's I think, and a newer one too I believe. Also, the biography at the Milken Archive may be of some interest. as to Klose, a string quartet of his - which was recorded awhile back, but i haven't heard it - has been scanned and looks interesting...

Taneyev

Ben-Haim had a beautiful folk short solo violin sonata, I've a rare recording by no less than Francescatti (!).

eschiss1

Well, he's attracted some "big names" (ones whose musicianship I respect in many cases; I have at least a few Francescatti recordings that are quite good for instance, and Menuhin, whose recordings of Bartók I enjoy much (and commissioned -his- solo sonata, I believe), also recorded Ben-Haim's solo sonata...) - and perhaps for good reasons. Looking forward to hearing his music!

M. Henriksen

"This is music in the tradition of Mahler – subjective, highly personal, and yet brimming with genuine musical spirit. A highly significant discovery!"

- cpo advertising for the forthcoming Ben-Haim disc. I'm looking forward to hear some excerpts!

Morten

vandermolen

I downloaded Symphony No 2 which seems melodic, eloquent and memorable.