Unsung 20th Century Symphonists

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 August 2011, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quote from: Holger on Wednesday 07 September 2011, 09:12
I have Graunke's Symphony No. 9 in my collection, so maybe I can say a few words on him though I assume some features of his style must have changed over the years (the Ninth is not tonal any more, though it's not particularly modern either). Honestly, I listened to this symphony only once and my impression was not good at all. I remember it as a lengthy (almost 70 minutes) and altogether rather boring piece, and I haven't felt inclined to explore his other symphonies. So if you ask me I don't expect much from these symphonies.

That's helpful, thanks. I don't think I'll bother with him...

Arbuckle

Posted some of Marcel Rubin's symphonies in Austrian feed, don't think there are many current recordings, except Sym No. 4 Dies Irae, American SO, Botstein, however the Sym no. 4 I have posted is a radio broadcast

alberto

As for Persichetti , exact contemporary of Diamond ( both born in 1915) I have rather loose memories of a slightly less impressive, and more astringent, symphonist than Diamond (or Piston, Harris,W. Schuman.....not to say Copland,or the overtly romantics Barber, Hanson).
Time allowing I'll try to listen again. I have Symphonies 3,4,5,7 and the Piano Concerto.
The Symphony n.5 (for strings) and the Piano Concerto had the benefit of the advocacy of Muti (Symphony) and Dutoit  (Piano Conc.) and the Philadelphians (New World records 370-2).

eschiss1

have heard one or two of Persichetti's string quartets (from the set of 4 that was released on LP that the university library has) and a few of his symphonies, and some other works, at least one of the symphonies -no.8 I think- a couple of weeks ago. Much more impressed by it than I used to be, I think for what little that is worth- full of brio and interest. (Though then again this happens very often to me - when I heard Piston's 8th symphony on the radio for the first time, about 2 decades ago, it changed my opinion of him for the better drastically - so ...)

Alan Howe

I think I'll investigate the CD of Persichetti symphonies on Albany. They sound full of life from the excerpts I've heard...

Latvian

I played in a number of Persichetti wind ensemble works many years ago, back in the days when I was a clarinetist. His music is a joy to play -- interesting lines in the individual parts, solid modal writing, exciting rhythms, etc. His vocal writing is also excellent.

Speaking also as a listener, I've enjoyed Persichetti's music for many years and have found it very satisfying to listen to. Of course his style evolved over the years, and the later works are denser and more challenging (musically and technically), but still rewarding.

There are certainly some stylistic parallels to be drawn to Diamond (and also Mennin and Schuman, among others), but Persichetti was his own man, musically.

eschiss1

and what's not right with a challenge (if it's to a musical point, and it does seem to be) :)

semloh

Well, looks like I should go in search of some Persichetti and give it a try.... a musical challenge worth taking up. Now it's Albany vs. Dutton .... what a pity that money comes into play!

Latvian

Quoteand what's not right with a challenge (if it's to a musical point, and it does seem to be)

Quite so!

Latvian

QuoteWell, looks like I should go in search of some Persichetti and give it a try.... a musical challenge worth taking up. Now it's Albany vs. Dutton .... what a pity that money comes into play!

Would you like a couple of live performances in the downloads section, to whet your appetite, before cracking open your wallet?

semloh

Latvian - that's a kind offer - yes please!

Hovite

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 07 September 2011, 07:50
I've never heard a symphony by Diamond. Can you please suggest where best to start?

The first one that I heard was No. 4, and that made a big impression on me.

More recently I acquired a disc that included "The Enormous Room", which the composer called "a free-form fantasia". It lasts about 15 minutes, so it could be a good starting point.  The seemingly banal title comes from a book of the same name, and refers to a wartime prison: "all the male prisoners lived in one vast hall". The music evokes a passage in the book that describes a snowstorm: "The Enormous Room is filled with a new and beautiful darkness, the darkness of the snow outside".

Alan Howe

I must say that Paul Paray's 1st symphony is a very fine work. It's written in a highly romantic idiom for  1934, but it has such obvious sincerity and melodic richness - and all within a half-hour time-span - that I for one couldn't resist its charms. The style occasionally reminds me of Elgar, especially in the gloriously rhapsodic swells that occur frequently in the score, but there is a typically French langour about the piece also. Very attractive and very powerful stuff.

Alan Howe

OK (deep breath!), I'd like to narrow this thread somewhat. Therefore, in order to see whether we can come up with some sort of consensus, I'd like to ask forum members to nominate their top five 20th-century symphonies - excluding those by sung symphonists such as Mahler, Sibelius, Nielsen, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Elgar, Vaughan-Williams, etc.

Rainolf

Robert Simpson (for his 9th)
Boris Tchaikovsky (for his 2nd)
Wilhelm Furtwängler (for his 2nd)
Siegmund von Hausegger (for his Nature Symphony)

And No. 5? What now to do with Hartmann (Ok, he seems to be rather sung), Mennin, Tournemire, Rubbra, Wilhelm Georg Berger?
Because I had many joy listening to Tornemire's 6th in the last days, my No. 5 is:

Charles Tournemire (for his 6th)