Unsung 20th Century Symphonists

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 August 2011, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Marek includes Tansman in his list. If Tansman's symphonies are as good as his piano sonatas, they're very good indeed.

markniew

Hi Marek. Thanks for your fascinating list. I would be very interested to hear a Maliszewski symphony if you have the time to upload it...

Hello Allan,
in the download section - Polish music you have the link to the Maliszewski's symphony no. 3

best,
Marek

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Also: Aubert Lemeland (1932-2010) - at least two really good late symphonies (8 and 9) recorded on Skarbo. Off to work now but must add a bit later... :)

markniew

cont. Polish symphonies:

Henryk Wars - no. 1 radio recording
Andrzej Panufnik - Symphony of Peace of 1950-51 - old radio recording
Tadeusz PAciorkiewicz - radio recordings
to be continued

Marek

jimmosk

I know it barely counts as being a 20th-century Polish symphony, but let's not overlook the magnificent Symphony in E minor op.7 "The Revival" of Mieczysław Karlowicz. You can sample a few excerpts from it at http://www.allmusic.com/album/mieczyslaw-karlowicz-rebirth-symphony-op-7-bianca-da-molena-op-6-w266392/tracks (though the clip for the first movement is from the slow introduction, which doesn't give you an idea of how mighty it's about to get)

-J

markniew

and
Paderewski - symphony Polonia
ad

Emil Mlynarski - symphony Polonia

both on Cds
Marek

eschiss1

Is Mlynarski's symphony in F op.14 (published 1912 privately) the one you mean? Didn't know it had the nickname Polonia...

Dundonnell

As a small boy my father was taken to see Emil Mylnarski conduct the Scottish Orchestra(now Royal Scottish National Orchestra) of which Mylnarski was Principal Conductor from 1910 to 1916. That would have been about 1915 or 1916, I suppose.

eschiss1

They're the dedicatees of that symphony, which fills in a blank for me :)

markniew

yes, the Symphony by Mlynarski has a nickname Polonia, in fact it is dedicated to the Scottish SO. Mlynarsi served also as a conductor in Curtis Institute in Philadelphia (1929-31). Namely in Philadelphia the manuscript of his first violin cto has been recently discovered (premiered in spring this year here in Warsaw).
by the way Mlynarski was also a father-in-law to Artur Rubinstein.

Cd with the symphony and the 2nd violin cto was released in 1990 by Polskie Nagrania.

nice to hear that Dundonnell's father as a boy was taken to the concert of Mlynarski :-)
Marek

chill319

An "embarrassment" of great music was premiered between 1900 and 1914. In my estimation Paderewski, Karlowicz, and Szymanowski stand high on the list of contributors. Where would you place Mlynarski? Is he worth a big effort?

Alan Howe

Mlynarski is not a composer of the stature and originality of Szymanowski - but neither were Karlowicz or Paderewski. His music is more akin to the earlier Karlowicz. The Symphony Polonia is a strong late-Romantic piece, but hardly possessing great personality. Very enjoyable nevertheless.

There was indeed a wonderful generation of composers writing in the first two decades of the last century in Poland. Of course, there had been Noskowski, and Zelenski was at the end of his career, and then - apart form the abovementioned - there were others such as Rozycki, Maliszewski, Fitelberg, Morawski, Nowowiejski, Marek, Stojowski, etc.

eschiss1

I thought the expression literally translated wasn't an embarrassment but a sort of bear-hug (embrassment) of riches.
Some of those composers mentioned were part of the (musical part of the?) Young Poland group with Szymanowski, yes? Fitelberg and Rozycki, at least, and a few others I think.

markniew

nice to hear good opinions on rather unknown Polish symphonies - I wonder that quite big number of unsung portal fans demonstrates extensive knowlege in that subject!

and don't forget about Lutosławski and Penderecki, also Górecki.

once again I recall - as the rarity = the Symphony of Peace by Panufnik - composer removed it from the list of his compositions!

Marek