Unsung 20th Century Symphonists

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 August 2011, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Alan, if you think Saeverud hard to come by try his 6th and esp. 7th Symphony from the 1940s, both reflecting the war. Very moving and much more personal than the earlier 3rd. Anyway, I admire the 3rd for its grimness. Very unusual for a Norwegian composer during the 1920s, isn't it? Who else in Norway did such stuff at that time? Valen's series of Symphonies started in the late 30s.

semloh

Yes, I agree about Saeverud. If I recall correctly, his sombre style is maintained in his Peer Gynt Suites, Op.28. Wiki says that he ....was widely famous for his humour [!!], mainly of a grotesque kind. "I was born on a graveyard," he said, and it is a fact that the ground under the house where he was born was both a former graveyard and a place of execution. He was convinced that his mother's nightmares there had influenced both him as a person and composer: "My music is terribly melancholy - wildly melancholy."

This reminds me to mention another Norwegian symphonist, Olav Kielland, who wrote 4 symphonies (apologies if he's already appeared in this thread). I know the 1st because it was issued on LP by Philips (LPO, cond. by Kielland) but I've never heard any of he others. Does anyone in the forum know them?

britishcomposer

Quote from: vandermolen on Wednesday 24 August 2011, 22:19
Fascinating thread - but not necessarily good for my bank balance  :o

Here are some recommendations from me:

Allan Petterson Symphony 6-8
Rootham Symphony 1 (Lyrita)
Stanley Bate (Symphony 3 and 4, Dutton) No 3 is wonderful, powerful, tonal, moving, defiant at the end - and Bate had a difficult life.
Klaus Egge: Symphony No 1 (might appeal to fans of Walton Symphony No 1)
Joubert Symphony 1 with Mathias Symphony 1 (Lyrita) - both excellent - lyrical, powerful, tonal, moving.
Hoddinott Symphony No 3 - not easy but has a gritty integrity and is ultimately rewarding
Braga Santos symphonies 3 and 4 (great composer - might appeal to Sibelius/Vaughan Williams fans.
Tubin - all symphonies
Holmboe symphonies 4,6,7,8,10
Miaskovsky (my favourite) symphonies 3,6,15-17,21,24,25,27
Weinberg nos 1,3,5 and 6
Arnell nos 3,4,5,6
Alwyn (all symphonies)
George Lloyd nos 4,7,8
Bantock, Hebriddean, Celtic, No 3
Arnold No 1,3,5,6,7,9
Lilburn symphonies 1 and 2
Wiren nos 3 and 4 (great!)
Ivanovs Nos 2,3,4,8,20 (last two on Naxos)
Popov Nos 1and 2
Eshpai Nos 4 and 5
David Diamond No 3 (v moving)
William Schuman (no 6)

vandermolen, you have named a few of my favourites as well, esp. Pettersson, Wirén, Tubin and Holmboe.
But I have just listened to David Diamond's 3rd for the first time. Absolutely terrific! I knew Nos. 1, 2 and 4 before but this will probbly become my favourite. His modal harmony appeals to me very much and his feel for rhythm, though unmistakably American, is unique. Highly recommended!

I definitely have to find some early Braga Santos I think. I have an LP of his 5th which my cousin has digitalized for me but this is hard stuff.

reineckeforever

about Nino Rota..
next 3rd December will be the centenary of his birth, in Italy there will be some concerts to celebrate the anniversary, especially with symphonic music.
A CD, with the first world recording of the two cello concertos played by Silvia Chiesa, with the Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI conducted by Corrado Rovaris, will be on sale  in the next weeks. (Sony label)
andrea

eschiss1

Rota- cello concertos? Good news, but are you sure it's a world premiere? The first 2 cello concertos are on Naxos, I think, already- a 2001 CD. (A fairly well-known label- someone should, I think, advise Sony to drop the "world premiere" claim if they are indeed making one. If, I mean...)

So that's been out for- awhile. Or do you mean the first recording of the cello concertos played by that ensemble or performer? A new recording of good music is good news anycase...

reineckeforever

You're right...this is the first world recording "with all italian interpreters"....
there is a CD of 2001, Chandos
bye, Andrea

eschiss1

sorry, was just wondering what you meant :). I think I've heard at least one of the concertos from the Naxos recording (on Music Choice television, an unexpectedly good, as I've said before, classical station here. They've also played some of his symphonies and other works mentioned here etc.) Was good music as I recall.

gasman

Please consider, George Lloyd - have just started a new topic on this subject!

eschiss1

I think I assumed the Rota cello concertos recording was on Naxos because of Yablonsky and because I saw it under "Naxos Digital Library" (which doesn't just carry Naxos- it's a digital streaming service for university people and others, anycase). You're right, though, Chandos.

chill319

In terms of sheer numbers, at least, during the 20th century, more than any before, Alle Menschen kaum zu Brüdern. Not to dwell on the bleak, but the symphonies that from that period which most move me face the evidence of our implacable inhumanity directly and then, without sentimentality, press forward to manifest finer aspects of the spirit. VW's Symphonies 4 and 6 stand out for me in this regard as capturing and transcending the 20th-century phenomenon of tragedy so pervasive it becomes impersonal, and I would place shoulder to shoulder with those two masterpieces Tubin Symphony 5 and Schuman 6.

eschiss1

Though not in that company, and probably mentioned by someone (... probably me. ... sorry.) already in this thread, anyone who's heard of and curious about mid-century British symphonism may want to hear the first (of 11) symphony by Northampton composer Edmund Rubbra (the fugal coda of its odd but basically sonata finale is paced and builds very, very well in its one commercial recording- Hickox on Chandos- and gives me, anyway, shivers...)

X. Trapnel

I'd add the Petterson 8th to that company

eschiss1

I might not be sure which one, but I'd add -some- (or at least one) Pettersson symphony to that company certainly. But I admit to being a fan, requiring a good performance of course... (well... going without saying though I have just said it. Walker I suppose is right enough to distinguish between composers who are relatively interpreter-proof and those who aren't, though.)

eschiss1

Eshpai 4 and 5 were mentioned- no.1, conducted by Ivanov in 1961 and available still I think on an Albany CD, is pretty good too. (I've seen his symphony no.2 and am pretty sure it's been recorded, but haven't heard it. His violin sonatas are interesting, especially the one with the Tchaikovsky quotes :) )

vandermolen

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 04 September 2011, 18:24
Eshpai 4 and 5 were mentioned- no.1, conducted by Ivanov in 1961 and available still I think on an Albany CD, is pretty good too. (I've seen his symphony no.2 and am pretty sure it's been recorded, but haven't heard it. His violin sonatas are interesting, especially the one with the Tchaikovsky quotes :) )

I have them (symphs 4 and 5) together on a Russian Disc CD - very enjoyableand powerful scores.  He is still alive I think.