Noseda continues with Casella (inc. Forthcoming Casella)

Started by alberto, Wednesday 31 August 2011, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Yesterday night I greeted Maestro Noseda after a concert in the fine lake resort of Stresa.
He said me, not confidentially, that he has recorded Casella Concerto for Orchestra op. 61 (1937).
It is a substantial work (unrecorded till now) lasting about twenty-five minutes.
The coupling or couplings (again by Casella) have not yet decided.

eschiss1

ooh, I like pieces with central passacaglias. (Hrm. There is a noncommercial reel-to-reel conducted by Antonini, Munich Philharmonic, at U Texas at Austin. Not the same, but interesting maybe to know.)

erato

From the Gramophone:

This music making will now be channelled into broadening beyond opera the public knowledge of 20th-Century Italian music. The discs will focus on previously unrecorded symphonic repertoire by the main 20th-Century Italian symphonic composers including Alfedo Casella, Goffredo Petrassi and Ildebrando Pizzetti. The first CD, which is due for release in June 2012, will see Noseda conducting the BBC Philharmonic in works by Casella, including A notte alta, the symphonic fragments from the opera La donna serpente, and the Concerto per Orchestra.

This is great news as the disc of symphony no 2 i great, and clearly superior to the admirable Naxos series.

Dundonnell

Great to hear that we are going to get Casella's Concerto for Orchestra :)

The Pizzetti Symphony should, presumably, follow ;D

M. Henriksen

Great news, but check out alberto's topic Forthcoming Casella by Chandos from 31st of august! Maybe our administrators can merge these two topics together?

Morten

Mark Thomas

M. Henriksen

I don't know how you did it, but it worked vey well!

Morten

Mark Thomas

I shall keep the mysteries of Forum management to myself, I think.  :)

erato

Great! I wasn't aware of that thread - though I searched for Casella in the composer forum.

eschiss1

The search feature in this forum is at best so difficult to learn, I think, that it's perhaps better, relatively speaking, in searching the public areas of the Unsung Composers Forums to use Google ("stuff" site:unsungcomposers.com ).

Mark Thomas

Yes, the search is not easy. I find the best thing to do is to go to the home page and search from there. Searching within a board seldom yields useful results. I wish it were otherwise, but there we are...

M. Henriksen

The second volume of Casella from Chandos is scheduled for release at the end of April.
As we know from Alberto, the disc contains the Concerto for Orchestra. The couplings are A notte alta and two orchestral Suites from the opera La donna serpente.

Details here:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Chandos/CHAN10712

Morten

BFerrell

The problem with the Pizzetti Symphony is that it was dedicated to the Imperial Japanese Dynasty in 1940. Lousy timing. I think it was ever only performed in Tokyo. I hope Hirohito and his War Cabinet enjoyed it.   I would someday hope to hear it myself.

alberto

The Pizzetti Symphony wasn't performed only once in Tokyo. True, it was dedicated to the Emperor of Japan, but as a result of a commission ( extended, between, the European composers to R.Strauss, Pfitzner, Veress and....Britten: to the last resulting  in the rejection  of the Sinfonia da Requiem). The Japanese choice of composers was not - I would say- "political".
Pizzetti himself (while no opponent) was not a Fascism supporter (within the limits of a much revered composer, covering important teaching charges) in a regime.
For instance in my city , Torino, The Pizzetti Symphony has been performed three times. In 1946 and 1955, conducted by Pizzetti himself. Still in 1976 it was recorded by Ferdinando Previtali (without public) for a TV broadcast. I saw and heard it in television, in the frame of a (now unbelievable) series "The Symphony of the XX century" (there were, for instance, Elgar First -conducted by Gianluigi Gelmetti- and Walton Second- conducted by Zdenek Macal).
Indeed by 1976 Pizzetti, like Casella and Malipiero,  was already and since years "out fashion". The Italian radio had a very long "Glock period"; almost only avantagarde works were admitted as novelties (even if I have to admit that Italian avantgarde listed at least three -in their gendre- important composers: Maderna, Nono and Berio -the first two pupils of Malipiero).
Much later than 1976 an acquaintaince of mine presented me with a Cd recording with a radio broadcast of the Symphony (Nino Sanzogno conducting the Milano radio orch. in the '60s).
That broadcast as fas as I know has never released commercially. Being very unpratical with the web, I am not able to make an upload.
Anyway I assure friends of the forum that it is a magnificent (and substantial: 42'46") four movements Symphony (maybe a little celebrative, only in the Finale; decidedly conservative in idiom in respect to Casella's Third).
I hope in a commercial recording and deem it possible.