Romantic un?recorded concertos (not the first topic on this one)

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 03 September 2011, 05:08

Previous topic - Next topic

X. Trapnel

Latvian--I downloaded the Carpenter vc just yesterday from itunes which has all of Botstein's recordings (including finally, grail of grails (for me anyway), Shcherbachev's Symphony no. 2.

jerfilm

Hey X, thanks for the tip on itunes.  Did the Carpenter as well as a Braunfels and Brull.  Their pricing is screwy, tho, as most overtures alone are 99 cents but several are priced as 9.99....!!  Betcha they're not moving too fast at that price...

Jerry

X. Trapnel

Screwy as hell. The hour+ Shcherbachev was only $3.99. It's worth checking then Botstein itunes listingings every few weeks; new things do show up at odd intervals. I'm hoping the Suter violin concerto is on the way. I heard it at the same concert with the Marx Autumn Symphony (oh, for the Nordland Rhapsody).

Latvian

QuoteI downloaded the Carpenter vc just yesterday from itunes

Fantastic news! Thank you!

eschiss1

Also, George Boyle (again)- not the piano concerto this time but his cello concerto (whose score and parts are at the Free Library of Philadelphia).

chill319

The American composer Frederick Converse wrote a number of concerted works. For violin, the Concerto, op. 13 (1902); for clarinet, the Rhapsody, op. 105 (1938); for piano, Night and Day, op. 11 (1901), Fantasy (1922), and Concertino (1932). The Rhapsody, a late work written after a stroke, is to my knowledge the only one commercially recorded.

eschiss1

Can't find the thread I was referring to in a post I just made, but maybe this one is close. Anyhow, 1.5-2 odd years ago, I might have mentioned that many of Emanuel Moór's quite-a-few concertos haven't even been informally recorded, it seems (his 2-cello concerto has, on a circulating more or less private (exists at at least one library...) tape series "Forgotten Romantics" conducted by Gordon Wright (poss. Gordon B. Wright (1934-2007)) of some concerts that also includes early symphonies by Reznicek - recorded before the cpo series - and a number of other mostly underknown works. A piano reduction of its intermezzo, published separately, has been uploaded to Sibley Library; it, and the full or reduced scores of some of his other concertos (no.1 in E major for cello, no.4 for violin, one of his piano concertos, a rhapsody for violin & orch.) have been uploaded to IMSLP also (often published by Mathot, Paris. I anyway like the look of his music but haven't yet heard much- some, though.)

Gareth Vaughan

I recommend the Piano Concerto by Otis Boise. An American student put together a Full Score of this work from a damaged MS and some MS orchestral parts as a Doctoral Thesis, and I have a copy of this.

Mark Thomas

Are Hyperion aware of Boise's concerto, Gareth? Maybe a suitable companion would by the Piano Concerto of Caryl Florio (1843-1920 - a pseudonym of William James Robjohn).

thalbergmad

The Boise is a good old fashioned romp in a Moskowskian vein. The Lord Hyperion has the score as it is on his list.

The Conrath would be a suitable American partner, but I do not know if the score exists for that. I have only the 2 piano in my files.

Thal

eschiss1

The records of performance say "a manuscript concerto for piano and orchestra by Louis Conrath". Who holds his papers- anyone...? That'd be a good place to start, as with some others... (yes, even though 1894>1879.)

violinconcerto

just a side note: I have the feeling that this forum (and maybe others as well) are crowded by people who go nuts on piano concertos, but where are the other violin concerto loonies? I notice some kind of disparity between piano and violin concerto schmucks... or am I wrong?

Tobias

thalbergmad

You do seem to have a valid point old chap.

The VC loonies must be somewhere.

Thal

Mark Thomas

I do agree with Tobias' assessment, but think that the phenomenon mirrors the preference of music lovers generally. I've always assumed that it's something to do with a piano concerto being a more accessible genre, something about a violin being "of the orchestra", whereas a piano is "opposed to the orchestra". Also solo piano music is almost a musical lingua franca, whereas solo violin music is far from being a popular listen.

Alan Howe

...although I am the VC nut to end all VC nuts (and violin sonata nuts!). What I want to see recorded is a whole string of VCs by composers such as Reinhold Becker, whose VC1 is lauded by Toskey in his encylopedia on the subject. Gernsheim's two would be further examples.