News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Great Unsung Third Symphonies

Started by Paul Barasi, Tuesday 25 August 2009, 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I wish. I've got good relative pitch, sometimes, but nothing like perfect pitch. Though if I hear a piece often enough, things sink in more and more; there's a lot to be said just for often-repeated hearing. ... Not quite getting your meaning and ...

Gauk

If one could not understand a composition unless one had perfect pitch, the audience for serious music would be even smaller than it is.

Mark Thomas

Indeed. Added to which perfect pitch is as much a curse as a blessing, so I am told by one who possesses it. That said, back to Third Symphonies....

JimL

Has anybody put in a word for Maliszewski's 3rd?  I will now.

LateRomantic75

I heartily agree with many of the suggestions offered already (Atterberg, Gliere, Enescu, Magnard etc.). I would also add:

Ludolf Nielsen: Symphony no. 3. A grand masterpiece, full of heroic and atmospheric passages, which often resemble a Scandinavian Bruckner. L. Nielsen's first two symphonies are fine works, but no. 3 is on a completely different level IMO.

Braga Santos: Symphony no. 3. While not quite as monumental as no. 4, no. 3 is a sweeping, colorful work with echoes of VW and Respighi. The finale is especially magnificent.

Charles Tournemire: Symphony no. 3 Moscow 1913: A haunting, individual work with marvelous orchestration. It cries out for a better performance than the only recorded one on Marco Polo.

Revilod

There is a superior performance of Tournemire's Third Symphony by the Liege Philharmonic conducted by Pierre Bartholomee on Auvidis Valois. It's coupled with the extraordinary Seventh Symphony. I reviewed those discs for Amazon.co.uk earlier this year.

LateRomantic75

Thanks very much for this info-I was only aware Auvidis Valois recorded the magnificent Sixth! Three copies are left on US Amazon-I'll have to snap one up!

chill319

QuoteLudolf Nielsen: Symphony no. 3. A grand masterpiece...
Not, IMO, on the level of Nielsen 4 or Sibelius, but in my review on Amazon I responded similarly. I love the work. Hard to believe it hasn't been published.

LateRomantic75

I wasn't implying that it is on the level of Sibelius or Nielsen, but it's certainly a great work in its own right! :)

eschiss1

I'm guessing btw that the Ludolf Nielsen Society may intend to do something about that eventually. Hope so, anyway.

sdtom

I picked up a good bargain of the 3rd and 4th symphonies of Raff on the Helios label. I looked at the reviews on the Raff site and found little information about this CD. What is the general opinion of this recording. I of course appreciate the opinion of this forum.
Tom :)

eschiss1

Hrm. The site discography misspells his name as Watton, but yes, there's only a slight mention otherwise, linking to a review @ MVDaily.  Perhaps someone wishing to contribute a longer review might have it considered...

sdtom

I think I might very well do that.

Alan Howe

I had the CD, but discarded it. It's OK (and certainly cheap), but the performances aren't a patch on the best in the catalogue - e.g. d'Avalos on ASV or Stadlmair on Tudor in No.3 or Stadlmair on Tudor in No.4.

Mark Thomas

The performances were OK for their time, when the only other competition on CD was from Schneider on Marco Polo (who cut out a huge lump of Im Walde's finale), but have been superseded now in the case of each symphony. I haven't listened to them in years, but both performances were rather bloodless, as I remember. The next release from Järvi on Chandos is rumoured to be the same coupling - now that'll be something.

Sorry that I misspelled Wetton in the discography, Eric, I'll correct that when I update the site.