Russian (sort-of Russian) violin concertos on Naxos

Started by eschiss1, Monday 26 September 2011, 21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

an upcoming? Naxos recording contains not another recording (already one on the same label) of Weinberg's violin concerto but rather what is advertised- correctly I believe? - as the premiere recording of Weinberg's violin concertino (with string orchestra, 1948), opus 42 together with relatively better-known works by Conus and Arensky (to us, anyway. But to a wider audience I hope, if well-performed, a good introduction to all three composers...!
At the price I might make it one of my rare CD purchases because of the Weinberg premiere- and I don't think I have the Conus, anyway :) Just for myself!) Expected to be released today some places, actually...
See MDT.
(Russian Violin Concertos is their (tentative?) title, said three times. Will you accept Russian-and-Polish-Soviet? ... no?... (a biographical connection, that last, between Myaskovsky and Weinberg on their other CD, at that, though Myaskovsky, I think, was only briefly in Poland at that part of his life.))
Eric

violinconcerto

Thanks a lot for the comment! I noticed the recording, but just read "Weinberg" and did not thought it could be anything else than his violin concerto. So now I already ordered the CD! Thanks for mentioning it here!

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

That's what I thought too, and Naxos has recorded the same work, even lesser-known works, twice with different performers (sometimes the first recording was on Marco Polo originally, as with the Szymanowski symphonies, sometimes it's their two sets of Mendelssohn quartets- which judging from representation as a complete cycle qualify overall as "lesser-known"... etc.- or their re"printing" some Delos recordings recently which conflict with recent recordings of their own, e.g. of Hanson's symphonies) - so it could have been!...
Eric