Unrecorded British Violin Concertos of the 20th Century

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 26 September 2011, 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Examples would include:

Stanley Bate:           Violin Concertos Nos. 1(1943), 2(1950) and 3(1947/50)
Arthur Butterworth: Violin Concerto(1978) (available for download from this forum)
Arnold Cooke:          Violin Concerto(1958) (available for download from this forum)
Gordon Crosse:       Violin Concertos Nos.1(1963) and No.2(1969) (I hope to be able to make No.2 available for download)
Peter Racine Fricker: Violin Concerto No.2 "Rapsodia Concertante"(1954) (available to download from this forum)
Iain Hamilton:           Violin Concerto No.2 "Amphion"(1971)
Alun Hoddinott:        Violin Concertos No.1(1961) and 2 "Mistral"(1994) (No.2 is available to download from this forum)
Joseph Holbrooke:    Violin Concerto "The Grasshopper"(1917)
Gordon Jacob:          Concerto for Violin and Strings(1953)
Daniel Jones:           Violin Concerto(1966) (available for download from this forum)
Kenneth Leighton:   Concerto for Violin and small orchestra(1952)
William Mathias:       Violin Concerto(1992)
John McCabe:           Violin Concertos No.1 "Sinfonia Concertante"(1959) and No.2(1980) (No.2 available for download from this forum)
Robert Simpson:       Violin Concerto(1959) (available to download from this forum)
Robert Still:              Violin Concerto(1969)
Grace Williams:        Violin Concerto(1950) (available to download from this forum)
William Wordsworth: Violin Concerto(1955) (available to download from this forum)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThe Grasshopper has been issued on Naxos some months ago.

But only in the version for violin and piano. CPO are scheduled to record the orchestral version, probably early next year.

erato

violinconcerto

I don't know anthing further about these ones, but what about:

Ethel Barns: Violin concerto (1907)
Anthony Burgess: Violin concerto (1979)
Richard Chignell: Violin concerto op.20 (1920)
Norman Demuth: Violin concerto (1937)
Richard Hall: Violin concerto (1939)
Wilfred Josephs: Violin concerto op.169 (1992)
Robin Milford: Violin concerto (1937)
William Arundel Orchard: Violin concerto
Patric Standford: Violin concerto (1979)
Robert Still: Violin concerto (1969)
Ian Whyte: Violin concerto

Does anyone know anything about performances, scores and/or recordings?

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

Dundonnell

Quote from: violinconcerto on Tuesday 27 September 2011, 18:45
I don't know anthing further about these ones, but what about:

Ethel Barns: Violin concerto (1907)
Anthony Burgess: Violin concerto (1979)
Richard Chignell: Violin concerto op.20 (1920)
Norman Demuth: Violin concerto (1937)
Richard Hall: Violin concerto (1939)
Wilfred Josephs: Violin concerto op.169 (1992)
Robin Milford: Violin concerto (1937)
William Arundel Orchard: Violin concerto
Patric Standford: Violin concerto (1979)
Robert Still: Violin concerto (1969)
Ian Whyte: Violin concerto

Does anyone know anything about performances, scores and/or recordings?

Best,
Tobias

Robert Still's concerto I listed in my initial post. The Wilfred Josephs concerto of 1992 has never been performed(source: the website of the Wilfred Josephs Society). Some of these composers are completely new to me :)

violinconcerto

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 27 September 2011, 23:55
I think the Standford while published 1979 dates from 1975?

You are right, thanks for mentioning! I will correct that on my site.

QuoteRobert Still's concerto I listed in my initial post.

Oups, sorry. I checked my first entries with your list, but then I just typed in...
So if you do not even know some names from the list, they must be pretty unsung. I expect no chance to hear anything of that so.

Best,
Tobias

violinconcerto

I noticed a recording of the David Harries violin concerto in the BMIC sound and music archive. That obviously means that there was a recorded performance in the past and that gives the possibility that someone else than the BMIC archive has a recording. So anyone of you know something about that?

Best,
Tobias

albion

I would certainly hope that now Dutton have set another Stanley Bate concerto down for release (the 2nd Piano Concerto, with its coruscating toccata-like opening movement) they will turn their attention to his other concertante works, particularly the 3rd Violin Concerto which had a (very brief) vogue following its premiere in June, 1953. The Telegraph gave it "a warm welcome, testimony to the accessibility of the composer's style. It is truly a violinist's concerto, with melodious rhapsodising and great opportunities for display." The BBC sourly dismissed it as "... a worthless piece of undistinguished pastiche ... Bate's mind is totally devoid of distinction."

In case anybody missed the broadcast performance earlier this year, the Violin Concerto by Irish composer Ina Boyle (1889-1967) should definitely be considered a strong candidate for commercial release - how I would love to hear more of her music. The broadcast (beautifully performed) is in the British music downloads section.

:)

Dundonnell

I think that Dutton is interested in one of Bate's Violin Concertos (if I remember correctly something I was told ;D).

The Boyle IS a really beautiful work :)

Gareth Vaughan

I am a great fan of Ina Boyle's music - what little I've heard - and would love the chance to look at some of her MSS preserved (I think) in Trinity College, Dublin [please correct me, if I'm wrong].

eschiss1

Richard Chignell? Musicsack lists a Robert Chignell (1882 Romsey - 1939 London) but no Richard, but that doesn't mean there was no such person (and Baker/Remy lists a violin concerto by Robert- I am guessing a typo... still- not necessarily)... what were or are his vitae?

violinconcerto

Thanks for noticing and mentioning the typo! I checked that again and I found the reason for my typo in the 1928 book "The violin concerto" by Frederic B Emery. He lists a "Richard Chignell born in Romsey in 1882", so I am pretty sure he meant Robert Chignell. Changed that on my website.
I don't know anything about him or his work, therefore it would be so interesting to listen to his violin concerto. But I guess there are more likely candidates for a performances than him. By the way I compiling the additional information "publisher, orchestration, world premiere, movement titles" for all British violin works right know. I am pretty sure I need some additional information, when I am ready... *coughcough*... I will drop a line here when I am ready (hopefully this week)

Best,
Tobias

patmos.beje

What about Eugene Goossens' Phantasy Concerto Op 63 of 1948?

If the Chandos Goossens series continues, as I understand it will with Sir Andrew Davis, hopefully it may receive its premiere recording.