News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

New Duttons on the way

Started by JeremyMHolmes, Wednesday 28 September 2011, 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Alan Howe

You're right, John, they're on the way -  but apparently cannot yet be ordered  >:(

albion

Always nice to see pretty pictures, though!

;)

Dundonnell

November/December are going to be expensive months for cd purchases: probably 5 of these Dutton releases, the Toccata HB release, the 'Gothic' from Hyperion, the Mathias/RVW piano concertos from Somm for British music alone etc etc ;D

Oh well, Christmas is coming up :)

(Btw just listened to Fricker's huge Oratorio "The Vision of Judgment": great stuff!)

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 04 October 2011, 16:47November/December are going to be expensive months for cd purchases: probably 5 of these Dutton releases, the Toccata HB release, the 'Gothic' from Hyperion, the Mathias/RVW piano concertos from Somm for British music alone etc etc ;D

Ditto, plus Hyperion's McEwen Viola Concerto ...

:o

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 04 October 2011, 16:47(Btw just listened to Fricker's huge Oratorio "The Vision of Judgment": great stuff!)

Ooh, you are a tease!

;)

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, I've always wanted to hear that piece.

Alan Howe

Dutton say that their new releases should be available next week...

JeremyMHolmes

to which add this further one:

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7276

All in all, I think one of Dutton's finest crops yet. I for one can't wait for them to be available.

Dundonnell

Quote from: JeremyMHolmes on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 16:06

All in all, I think one of Dutton's finest crops yet. I for one can't wait for them to be available.

Including Ina Boyle's Tone Poem "The Magic Harp" :)

She was being discussed on here only a couple of days ago :)

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 10:39
Dutton say that their new releases should be available next week...

Great news, thanks Alan!

Quote from: JeremyMHolmes on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 16:06

A bit of a mixed bag this one -

Ferdinand Hérold - Overture: Zampa (1831)
Byron Brooke - Gee Whizz! (1931)
Percy Whitlock - Carillon for organ & orchestra (1932)
Cecil White - A Sierra Melody (1931)
Dame Ethel Smyth - The Boatswain's Mate: Overture (1914)
Howard Flynn - Clatter of the Clogs: A Novelty Fox-Trot (1930)
Sir Landon Ronald - In an Eastern Garden (No.2 from The Garden of Allah) (1920)
Armstrong Gibbs - The Betrothal Ballet Music op.34 (1921)
Montague Birch - Dance of the Nymphs
Ina Boyle - The Magic Harp (1919)
Montague Birch - Intermezzo (Pizzicati) (1913)
Ludwig Pleier - Karlsbad's Dolls' Dance (Karlsbader Puppentanz): Characteristic Piece (1903)
Rutland Boughton - The Immortal Hour – Love Duet for orchestra (1913 arr 1924)

Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Ronald Corp (conductor)

- but I'll certainly be getting it primarily for the Whitlock, Smyth, Ronald, Gibbs, Boyle and Boughton.

;D

TerraEpon

Oh man, that disc looks like a great collection of light music....though Zampa? Really? What the heck is it doing with the rest of those?

albion

Quote from: TerraEpon on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 20:56Oh man, that disc looks like a great collection of light music....though Zampa? Really? What the heck is it doing with the rest of those?

I know - it struck me as a bit out of place in the programme, but presumably it was frequently played by Godfrey at Bournemouth to loud and prolonged applause, and it really is a cracking overture (once popular in the studio, now very rarely recorded).

:)

Gareth Vaughan

Exactly. This is a tribute to Dan Godfrey and his orchestra. And we must remember that concerts at that time (not just in England) were far more eclectic than they are now.  It would not be thought unusual to begin with a piece by a contemporary composer, then a Mozart Violin Concerto, then a group of drawing-room ballads with piano accompaniment; INTERVAL, followed by a Beethoven overture; an opera aria or two; then some inconsequential light music.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 22:31
Exactly. This is a tribute to Dan Godfrey and his orchestra. And we must remember that concerts at that time (not just in England) were far more eclectic than they are now.  It would not be thought unusual to begin with a piece by a contemporary composer, then a Mozart Violin Concerto, then a group of drawing-room ballads with piano accompaniment; INTERVAL, followed by a Beethoven overture; an opera aria or two; then some inconsequential light music.

Replace the 'sung' names with 'unsung' ones and you pretty much replicate my evening listening schedule - though I wouldn't call Ziehrer inconsequential. The 'interval' usually consists of a quick dash to Tesco when the first bottle of wine has 'evaporated' mysteriously.

;)

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 05 October 2011, 10:39Dutton say that their new releases should be available next week...

Just click , which is just what I am doing right now.

;D