Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony from Hyperion

Started by albion, Saturday 01 October 2011, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

I'm afraid I was old-fashioned and walked into a real live record shop, Tower Records in Shinjuku, which actually has a labelled "Brian" section, not just a "Composers B" one (though admittedly the only other discs in there were the Boult Gothic and the first Toccata disc) and bought the new CD, physically carrying it home. Call me a reactionary... Of course, I'm lucky to work near a shop where one can just buy Havergal Brian off the shelf.

eschiss1

Very, since iirc Tower Records in my country at least has folded completely (... well, no, there is still a "tower.com" but no, no physical Tower Records in the USA that I am aware of.)

Jimfin

Yes, in the UK too, I believe. On the other hand, HMV's completely gone here, and Virgin.

TerraEpon

Quote from: hattoff on Monday 28 November 2011, 09:54
I downloaded it from Hyperion (which is possible in a lossless format) for £14.99; quite a saving. I didn't bother to download the applause which I would have deleted anyway.

Something to consider?

If Hyperion lowered it's prices a little (and I do mean a little) I might. Right now they hover a little bit over my 'cost per time' limit on DLs. Plus the time I actually tried to buy from their site I couldn't get it to work, for some reason.

albion

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 26 November 2011, 10:42I am all in favour of 'cleaning up' recordings of this magnitude where mistakes would become tiresome and frustrating on repeated listening, but I think that editing ought to be openly acknowledged and credited in the literature accompanying the commercial release.

My copy of this splendid recording arrived today and it fully justifies the encomiums heaped upon it over at musicweb. The sound is fantastically detailed and possibly one of the best ever captured in the Royal Albert Hall and there has been some truly remarkable technical wizardry: gone is the disconcerting 'clunk' as, I think, a brass player dropped a mouthpiece towards the end of the Scherzo and, most magical of all, the intermittent choral pitch-problems have been sorted out to the point that Susan Gritton no longer has to perform her death-defying and audacious (but necessary) swoop up to pitch at the beginning of her entry taking over from the chorus in the Judex. All the editing work has been done with the utmost finesse and nothing audible proclaims 'tampering' in the slightest.

This is now the benchmark recording of the work with the best orchestral playing and the finest vocal soloists and, despite the lack of acknowledgement of editorial intervention, I am more than grateful to have both the 'edited' version for repeated listening and the original broadcast for historical reference and personal remembrance of a truly wonderful concert.

;D

Peter1953

I have the impression that Brian's Gothic is the most discussed symphony. I wasn't there, so I don't share the memory of an unforgettable musical event, but listened to the broadcast with mixed feelings. But I'm still curious because so many members (and reviewers) praise the Gothic so highly. Maybe a strange question, but is Hyperion's double disc a welcome addition to my classical music collection?

Alan Howe

If you haven't got the piece, Peter, you should add it....! (My copy's arrived too!!!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 17:42

My copy of this splendid recording arrived today and it fully justifies the encomiums heaped upon it over at musicweb. The sound is fantastically detailed and possibly one of the best ever captured in the Royal Albert Hall and there has been some truly remarkable technical wizardry: gone is the disconcerting 'clunk' as, I think, a brass player dropped a mouthpiece towards the end of the Scherzo and, most magical of all, the intermittent choral pitch-problems have been sorted out to the point that Susan Gritton no longer has to perform her death-defying and audacious (but necessary) swoop up to pitch at the beginning of her entry taking over from the chorus in the Judex. All the editing work has been done with the utmost finesse and nothing audible proclaims 'tampering' in the slightest.

That's marvellous! Can't wait to hear it for myself.  :)

hattoff

Can you blame me for what I said on the other board?

One of the great musical experiences of my life.

I just hope it can be such an experience for others.

How can I be the only one to understand  ??? ??

Jimfin

The recording blew me away. I've been fond of the Marco Polo recording since it came out (and what a milestone it was then), but this is a completely new level. Brian suffered for years from substandard recordings (anyone remember the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra or the Hull Youth Symphony Orchestra?), because that was all he could get, but this is something else.
      On a slightly personal note, years ago (when I was 18, so in 1989), I wrote to John Drummond, controller of Radio 3, suggesting they should programme some Brian at the Proms. He replied with a pompous, horrible letter, including the lines "It fills me with horror than an 18-year-old should listen to Havergal Brian". No wonder teenagers are put off listening to classical music. Anyway, I'm sure he was turning in his grave to see my wish fulfilled...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hattoff on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 21:21
Can you blame me for what I said on the other board?

One of the great musical experiences of my life.

I just hope it can be such an experience for others.

How can I be the only one to understand  ??? ??

You're not alone, as this thread proves abundantly. I am really glad the engineers did their job. This Gothic will be the defintive one for a long time, I think (barring an unforeseen miracle - another great recording!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Jimfin on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 21:44
Anyway, I'm sure he was turning in his grave to see my wish fulfilled...

Long may he turn.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHe replied with a pompous, horrible letter, including the lines "It fills me with horror than an 18-year-old should listen to Havergal Brian". No wonder teenagers are put off listening to classical music. Anyway, I'm sure he was turning in his grave to see my wish fulfilled...
I'm afraid John Drummond, for all that he did a lot of good things at the BBC, could be horribly pompous and dismissive. He was, if truth be known,  a bit of a bully!

M. Henriksen

I'm now listening to The Gothic for the third time in two days (phew!), and this is my first encounter with this massive work. I have to say that the recording is impressing. I can only imagine the challenges involved in recording this symphony in a live performance.

Morten