News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

CADENSA

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 13 October 2011, 19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I don't know if this is a question so much as a thought- sorry...

Re the British Library Sound Archive, they are probably incomplete, though also probably not everything broadcast by the BBC is still available to hear even physically as tapes.  Searched for an old program to see if it was still online somewhere, not because I had any interest in it, but just randomly selecting a date and a program, and got this-
Lunchtime concert for 14 January 2005
Nothing from this, it seems? - very little?...- is at the sound archive (the one exception I've found is a recording of the same Bach arrangement by the same performers made for EMI 8 years before, whereas this seems to be a live broadcast. No Anders Koppel etc. in the archive at all, I think, etc. (again, not a name I think I have interest in, though I think I may want to hear some Herman David Koppel)... Ah well.

(Doing this to get some idea of some composers I might "profitably" (not literally!) search for - well, it is true that even if Cadensa doesn't have something interesting by way of a studio recording, or a composer's name I haven't heard yet I happen upon this way, someone I know might have the recording or know more about the composer, ... etc. :D. So I find this sort of thing worth doing...)

albion

The holdings in the 'National Sound Archive' are woefully incomplete, and what's more, they are 'catalogued' with such flagrant inconsistency as to seem wilfully misleading. Upshot - use this resource as a last resort.

>:(