Alfred Mendelsohn (1910-1966) Symphony no.6

Started by lechner1110, Monday 03 October 2011, 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Dear members

Romanian radio will broadcast Alfred Mendelsohn's Symphony no.6

http://www.romania-muzical.ro/program/?d=2011-10-10

Broadcast date 10.Oct.2011  13:20 (Romanian time)

Records from the International Festival "George Enescu" - Edition 1958 (II).
   National Radio Concert Orchestra, conductor Constantin Silvestri, Claudio Arrau soloist.
   1 Theodor Rogalski - Three Romanian Dances
   2 Johannes Brahms - Concerto no. 2 op. 83 in B flat major for Piano and Orchestra
   3 Alfred Mendelsohn - Sixth Symphony

128 MP3 Stereo  http://web.srr.ro/cgi/my.pl?arg=/stream/online&id=16
  WMA 128 Stereo   http://web.srr.ro/cgi/my.pl?arg=/stream/online&id=14

I didn't listen Alfred Mendelssohn's music ever, so I'm looking forward too ;)

A.S

eschiss1

thanks- I think this same 1958 Festival was rebroadcast over the BBC (probably Euroclassic Notturno...) a few years back as I recall hearing this same symphony as part of an Enescu Festival broadcast sometime in the mid-2000s... was good. I've only heard one other work of his, I think (the "Fall of Doftanus" (Prăbușirea Doftanei) that was, I think, given a slightly different name and attributed to another composer when it appeared on LP - in the US I mean, not in its original Electrecord incarnation). Thanks for the heads-up!

Mark Thomas

Somewhere, I think I still have a copy of that LP recording of Alfred Mendelssohn's "Fall of Doftanus", which was indeed credited to Felix Mendelssohn on the Urania LP (coupled with "Beethoven's" Jena Symphony IIRC)! In style it is Straussian late-romantic. Thanks for the heads up for the symphony broadcast.

eschiss1

It's still one s, though- not Alfred Mendelssohn... (unlike, say, Arnold.)
(Then there's Camillo and Georg Schumann, who I think were closely related, to each other I mean, not to any of the Mendelssohn set- well, except as people may be all related as I tend to believe, though that tends to deprive the word of some needed substance...

- and G. Schumann who wrote a several-times reprinted Tarantelle (may have been Gustav Schumann, 1815-89); and Robert Alexander Schumann, related to my knowledge to none of 'em.)

I thought it was coupled (the Doftanus-themed work heretofore etc.) with a Czerny concerto actually but that's an artifact of this that and the other thing, and Worldcat seems determined to prove me wrong on that point.
(I almost want to say that I like the sound of "Prăbușirea Doftanei" except- I actually can only guess what the sound of it is! )

TerraEpon

I always find it amusing when you have an unfamous composer confused with the fanmous one. In the big-book-of-workslists, there are a couple of pieces in Bloch's list that are listed as being composed after he died -- because they are actually be someone named Augustyn Bloch.

eschiss1

In that connection (and the germ of another thread I suppose but not for this subforum) Jos(z)ef Bloch (1862-1922) may not cause the same confusion (having died rather earlier) but may cause some confusion all the same having composed works for the major ensembles as well.