News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mahler Violin Concerto

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 08 October 2011, 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Will the Mahler Violin Concerto ever be recorded? ...
... Other than a fleeting DG cover I can't seem to find anything about this elusive piece

britishcomposer

Do you mean this?

http://inkpot.com/classical/mahvncon.html

Now, that's a fake, isn't it?
No, if there were a Mahler Violin Concerto one would have heard of it - and found more information than just this single site.

Just imagine, Pierre Boulez recording a violin concerto by FRANZ SCHMIDT!  ;)  ;D

violinconcerto

It's a fake - and an old one. The cover is there for years and every now and then it pops up at a forum. I once found it as well and asked the same question in a forum, so you are - if I might say that - in good company.

Best,
Tobias

Lionel Harrsion

If you scroll right to the bottom of the flying inkpot page you'll see it was posted on 1st April (!) 1999.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Saturday 08 October 2011, 11:56
If you scroll right to the bottom of the flying inkpot page you'll see it was posted on 1st April (!) 1999.

Yes, I had looked for that but couldn't find it.  ;D

FBerwald

Ok. I hear you all. but read this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/02/youtube-symphony-orchestra-pilkington

".............The pinnacle was Mahler's violin concerto, which I played with my university's (second) orchestra............."

All part of the hoax?

britishcomposer

Read until the end:

'This article was amended on Thursday 5 March 2009. Our writer's fond recollection of having played a Mahler violin concerto at university was mistaken; Mahler never composed a violin concerto.'

;D ;D ;D

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 08 October 2011, 13:56
Ok. I hear you all. but read this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/02/youtube-symphony-orchestra-pilkington

".............The pinnacle was Mahler's violin concerto, which I played with my university's (second) orchestra............."

All part of the hoax?

If you read to the bottom of the article, you'll see it says, "• This article was amended on Thursday 5 March 2009. Our writer's fond recollection of having played a Mahler violin concerto at university was mistaken; Mahler never composed a violin concerto." 

Mark Thomas

How on earth can someone clearly musically literate mis-remember playing Mahler's Violin Concerto? Or am I missing another layer of the hoax?

Alan Howe

It's like an onion - layer upon layer of hoax. It'll all end in tears...

FBerwald

Lets just call it an Egg-on-the-Face day and close this chapter..... Just like the "A Major" violin concerto of Glazunov... GOD!!! What a DAY!

Paul Barasi

What we are actually waiting a long time for is a performing version and recording of Mahler's Scherzo in C Minor and Presto in F Major via Susan Filler.

eschiss1

Any chance of his piano quintet and violin sonata being found in someone's attic or are they well and truly lost?

JimL

You mean the rest of his Piano Quintet?  Because one movement of it has been performed, IIRC.

eschiss1

It has? I thought that was his piano quartet (one movement of which indeed has been performed and recorded reasonably often, and the sketches of another sort of realized by a Golubev pupil)... whereas he apparently also wrote a quintet and violin sonata, too.