Lindpaintner: Sinfonia Concertante for Wind Quintet

Started by Josh, Monday 10 October 2011, 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

I found a live performance from Bulgaria of a work that I've never even heard of before. It's on YouTube, from 12 November of 2010.  It's spread out over two videos. I'm a massive fan of Lindpaintner's Op.44 Bassoon Concerto, so I was just typing his name on YouTube and came across it. Surely, there aren't too many Romantic composers less sung than Lindpaintner! As far as I know, only a handful of his works have ever been recorded; I just discovered that the work from this YouTube video has appeared on CD once upon a time... I might have to buy this disc used!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfGUpnzmX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ampCCH6QU

Here's the CD I just learned about today:
http://www.amazon.com/Sinfonie-Concertante-Winds-Orch-36-44/dp/B000001SQP/

EarlyRomantic

Josh, I'm really glad you posted this! I've thought of Lindpaintner recently, and wanted tochampion him here on the forum.You said it well:He really qualifies as unsung, particularly if you factor in his prestige in his lifetime. What a sad inversion of his status from then to now. You would enjoy a clarinet concertino of his, on an old Koch-Schwann CD I have. He definitely had a fine lyric gift. His Opera, " Der Vampyr", just preceded Marschners Opera of the same name.From what I remember reading it was just as acclaimed @ the time. Subsequently, though, Marschners Opera has eclipsed his.I once scanned a list of his Operas, and it was tantalizing. I truly wish we'd get a surprise recoeding of an Opera of his one day.Well, I wanted to echo   your support of him. I hope some others will join us.I think excited hope keeps a lot of us going here! Thanks again.

eschiss1

from the scores of his that I've found on BSB (Bavarian Library's digital site) and other places his music -looks- very interesting. (Have so far seen some string trios, overtures, and other works by him that intrigue over at IMSLP.) (Edit: I do not mean intrigue in -that- sense. The drama!)
And he was popular enough that even a brief song ("Die Fahnenwacht") from 1844 found a republisher across the Atlantic (in its piano version, not its manuscript orchestral form, naturally.)

Derek Hughes

Quote from: EarlyRomantic on Monday 10 October 2011, 16:45
I've thought of Lindpaintner recently, and wanted tochampion him here on the forum. . . . His Opera, " Der Vampyr", just preceded Marschners Opera of the same name.From what I remember reading it was just as acclaimed @ the time. Subsequently, though, Marschners Opera has eclipsed his.I once scanned a list of his Operas, and it was tantalizing. I truly wish we'd get a surprise recoeding of an Opera of his one day.Well, I wanted to echo   your support of him. I hope some others will join us.I think excited hope keeps a lot of us going here! Thanks again.

Opernbühne (Bad Aibling, Bavaria) revived Lindpaintner's Vampyr in 2005. I'd been curious about this opera for decades and flew out to see it. It's not on the same level as Marschner's, and some of the numbers are banal, but there is also some powerful and high quality music. The flirtation with the peasant bride--thwarted, in this version--is particularly striking. As far as the libretto is concerned, the most remarkable feature is that the heroine is throughout fascinated with the vampire, who is a childhood fiancé returned from the dead, much like the bride in Goethe's 'Braut von Korinth'.