New Philip Scharwenka CD from Sterling

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 12 September 2009, 08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

This attractive CD has been available since 2009.

You can download it from the archives at Concertzender.

eschiss1

Did someone mention if there were thoughts of following the two discs so far up with the G major violin concerto and/or one or more of his symphonies? :)

Alan Howe

No news, I'm afraid, Eric.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the Dramatische Fantasie, though?

Aramiarz

Dear friends

We will hope very soon (next year), one new Scharwenka Cd. Ouverture Fest op 43, Traume und wirklichkeit op 92, And the violin concert op 95 that Phillipp dedicated to his wife are in the target!

Anyone found where is the Symphony? Is it in the Congress Library?

Gareth Vaughan

Scores of the Op. 96 Symphony and the Op. 115 Symphonia brevis are held by the Library of Congress,

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth, thank you!! I will search in the site of Congress library!

Gareth Vaughan

You might also try the Berlin Staatsbibliothek, but you may need to write to them because not all their vast holdings are available to see in online catalogues.

Wheesht

You could try the filmed card catalogue, here:
http://staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/die-staatsbibliothek/abteilungen/musik/recherche-und-ressourcen/imagekataloge/
Choose either Katalog der Musikbücher und Noten I or II. I just checked Katalog I and found both op. 96 and op. 115. Even if you have found something, it is always important to remember that a lot of material was lost during WWII. Usually this is marked "Kriegsverlust" or certain library codes will be known to be of lost materials.

eschiss1

many materials in the library of Congress catalog are also not actually -in- the Library. There is a code in the Catalog that basically means "unverified" or "unknown"--  Or to quote (I think I have before) an email a librarian sent me in regards Adolf Busch's symphony (a card entry for which is or was at the LoC) -

"Dear Mr. Schissel:

Regrettably, the online record that appears on the Library of Congress's website for Adolf Busch's "Symphony," op. 39 is in error; the score of this work is not, nor has ever been, held within the Library's collections.  (The "unk" prefix -- designating "unknown" -- that appears as part of this item's Library control/accession number indicates that it is an "unverified" bibliographic record, i.e., a record originally created in anticipation of the acquisition of this score by the Library -- but an acquisition that apparently never materialized.)  While this error was rectified on the Library's long-used and reliable online catalog (< http://catalog2.loc.gov >; now termed the "Legacy catalog"), where searches for Busch's "Symphony" correctly do not appear, the Library's newly implemented, and unfortunately still problematic catalog search engine failed to incorporate this correction."

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Eric. I was unaware of this. Both Scharwenka symphonies have the catalog nos. prefixed by "unk", so an enquiry would be necessary before we get our hopes up. However, they do appear on the card catalogue of the BSB, as Wheesht points out. Enquiries to both libraries, I think.

Aramiarz

Dear friends
Thank you very much for your tips! I will share with you the result. I hope that not happen the same problem that Eric had with Busch's symphony!!

eschiss1

According to the KVK General Catalog, HBZ has a score of the symphony Op.96, or at least it's listed in the HBZ-Verbund Datenbank. If I'm reading right, it's referring specifically to the Bonn Musikwissenschaft Library. "keine ILL" alas.

"Scharwenka, Philipp:
Symphonie in D moll für Orchester  [Musikdruck] : Op. 96 / componirt von Philipp Scharwenka . - Partitur
Leipzig [u.a.] : Breitkopf & Härtel,  [s.a.]. - 192 S.
Besitzer     Information Q1133"

Aramiarz

Dear Erick,
Thank you for your support! I will have contact with them!! ;)

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, I sent one Mail to HBZ for get the Symphonie score op 96, please where Did you the see the Symphonie Brevis score? I don't found nothing in Congress Library, perhaps seeked wrong :'(
Sakuntala has 40 Pages, it will be one orchestral prelude?

Wheesht: I will see the option for op 115, thank you!