News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eugène Cools (1877-1936)

Started by eschiss1, Monday 24 October 2011, 04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

about this composer (French, not German, but apologies for breaking stride not once but twice...) I know very little- there are a few scores and reductions at IMSLP, mentions in contemporary journals, and etc.
Some works in this case have been recorded (a horn work on a 1970s LP, for example).
A partial worklist might begin
(With opus number - )
* Op.39 - Reverie, violin and piano
* Op.50 - Pavane de Lydia (Extract from pantomime-ballet "Lydia") for orchestra
* Op.53 - Romance, violin and piano
* Op.54 - la Mort de Chénier, symphonic study (1904) (Eschig)
* Op.56 - Ouverture symphonique (1904) (Eschig)
* Op.59 - Symphony in C minor (1906, performed 1907, prize-winning. Full score at the USA Library of Congress.)
* Op.60 - Arioso, violin and piano
* Op.61 - Romance, violin and piano
* Op.63 - Hop-Frog, symphonic poem (1907) (pub. Eschig)
* Op.64 - Flute Sonata
* Op.67 - Chanson russe, violin and piano
* Op.68 - Pastorale, violin and piano
* Op.74 - Poème for viola and orchestra (1909) (Eschig)
* Op.75 - Lied for Cello and Piano
* Op.77 - Sicilienne for flute (pub.1909)
* Op.79 - Violin Sonata (1910s)
* Op.80 - Concertstück for bassoon (ca.1910)
* Op.81 - Allegro de concert for trombone and piano
* Op.84 - Solo de concours for Cornet in Bflat and piano
* Op.85 - Symphonic Fragments from Music for Hamlet
* Op.86 - Berceuse for viola (or cello) and piano (now published by United Music, also directly at the Durant-Salabert-Eschig site)
* Op.89 - Prelude et Danse (oboe and Piano) (pub.1913)
* Op.91 - 2 Russian pieces for violin and piano (pub.1914)
* Op.92 - Prelude, to La mort de Tintagiles. (pub.1920)
* Op.93 - Nos filles reçoivent, suite for orchestra
* Op.94? - Poème for piano and orchestra (cop.1920)
* Op.98 - Andante serio, viola and piano (1923?)
(Without opus number - )
A substantial number of operette, film scores, etc.
(e.g. "Vienna Waltzes" (ca.1930, with Julius Bittner), the operas Kymris, Le Jugement de Midas, "Souper de Noël, comédie lyrique en un acte et 2 tableaux (Eschig, 1922)", "Les violettes de la Malmaison; operette en trois actes" (Eschig, 1927), "Musette" after Henri Murger (vocal score published by Eschig, purchaseable online), Narcisse (Pastorale in one act on a poem by Montoya)
Also, poème for piano and orchestra (seems to be related? to opus 94, but longer by 10 minutes) (1930. Also Eschig)

There is some biography here (in French). The symphony movement at IMSLP is probably -not- from op.59 or else from an early draft of it (my mistake, which I have yet to fix, erf.) It's something he published in a journal as a piano-reduced symphony movement.  Doesn't even have the right tempo designation for the slow movement of op.59 (whose vitals are at Free Library of Philadelphia's catalog. :) ) (Actually, the date is right- now I think maybe the material at FLP is a later revision...)

Opp. 64, 77, 79 are there, though.
Many (all but 1.5) of the works by Eschig now only available from them (... of course) "on location".
Also mentioned often as a teacher or at least the director of the conservatory where others studied (in regards, I think, Ferroud and Ernesto Halffter, but not sure...)

Gareth Vaughan

Fleisher has the Full Score (but not, alas, the parts) of the Op. 59 Symphonie. Interestingly, a copy of the Full Score of the Poeme for piano & orchestra (1932) is held by the Bayerische Staatbibliothek.

eschiss1

Well, as I'm reminded by a recording of Rubinstein's 3rd symphony on Centaur (score existed, but no parts which had to be drawn up for the recording, hence the slight relevance), given full score and a lot of determination and probably an underpaid grad student with (now'days) Sibelius or Lilypond and a printer, parts can be had (if the score is sufficiently problemless) - anyway. Sorry.